Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Coffee Roasters Tray

Our Christmas Open House is only a few weeks away in early November. That means it is crunch time for me. In order to get everything ready for the big day, my days are spent pricing special items and completing unique projects for my booth. During the next few weeks, I’ll be blogging about some of those items and projects.



Today I’m showcasing a tray that I fashioned from a cutting board that someone had “branded” with the heating element of an electric stove. No, it wasn’t me! I bought the cutting board at the local Salvation Army thrift store last year.

BEFORE
I knew that I wanted to upcycle it into a sign or a tray. My first idea was to make a sign that said, “If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.” I quickly decided that it was just too many words and, perhaps, a bit corny. Having seen something similar* online, I decided to add COFFEE ROASTERS to the board and create a unique tray.

After staining the cutting board, I used an old-school set of stencils to letter the word, COFFEE. If you look really really close at the “before” picture above you can see where I penciled it in. For fun, I substituted a mug of coffee for the “O” and then hand-lettered ROASTERS. 

DURING

I filled in both words in with craft paint, waxed the surface with AS dark wax and added handles.

AFTER

One project DONE!
Many more to do!


*Full disclosure: I saw a similar idea on a blog but I didn’t bookmark it and I haven’t been able to re-locate it. I would love to give proper credit so if you know the blogger/post, please let me know. I think she/he used the COFFEE ROASTERS stencil sold by Donna of Funky Junk Interiors.

  
I’m linking to the following parties:


Vintage Inspiration Party at My Salvaged Treasures
What's It Wednesday at Ivy & Elephants

9 comments:

  1. I love it! You added just the right touches to take it from drab to fab!!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this one...that is so cute. Great idea and I am sure someone will fall head over heels for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this. If I had an electric stove I just might be tempted to burn a few old cutting boards with the fire extinguisher close by, of course. Thanks for sharing your Coffee sign at VIParty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The electric range burn looks like it was meant to be there! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for getting a jump on the season! I love it, what a great vision you had!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how this turned out. The tray is really cute and I know how hard you work getting ready for your open house!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute, I love the coffee cup for the o! Great re-purposing.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever and what a great gift this item would make!
    Good luck with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, I love love this. xo Dianne

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!