Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Cabinet Door Coat Rack

I’m continuing to work on projects that will be featured in my booth at our Christmas Open House in early November. Last week I showed you a tray that I created from an abused cutting board. This week I’m revealing a coat rack that I made from a cabinet door.



Early this past summer, I bought a cabinet door from an overstock store here in town.
It was a new unfinished oak door measuring approximately 18” x 16”.

BEFORE

My original thought was to make a tray, but I changed my mind after noticing the pile of rulers and yardsticks standing in the corner of my office.



Oak is my favorite wood, so I finished it with a medium dark stain instead of paint…..

DURING


I gathered my ever-growing stash of rulers and yardsticks along with leftover pieces from other yardstick projects. After fitting and cutting them to size, I glued them to the recessed panel of the cabinet door and added three old hooks with chippy paint.

AFTER

The result is a coat rack with local sensibility since most of the rulers/yardsticks are from local stores that are no longer in business.


AFTER


Save the Date:
Southern Antiques Christmas Open House

November 8, 2015


I’m linking to the following parties:

Show and Share at Coastal Charm
Vintage Inspiration Party at My Salvaged Treasures
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! What a clever way to repurpose the oak cabinet door, and the yardsticks make it so whimsical. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so full of wonderful ideas! I love the old advertising items and yard sticks are one of my favorites. I love that its a useful piece and full of bright memories of what once was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool and I love that the rulers are from local businesses! I know your open house will be awesome!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Especially since part of it was made with free materials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Lucky you to have all those colored yardsticks! I'm always searching for them and never find colored ones.
    I'm hoping to make it over for your open house. That's my birthday weekend and we're hoping to come over to Laurel to do something with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, so we'll come by to see you if we end up over that way.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great and I know someone will grab it right up at your sale

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!