Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Forgotten Finds and a Whazzit


Have you ever hidden something from yourself? Well, if you have a booth or have lots of things stored in boxes, you probably have. That recently happened to me. I was looking through my log book of purchases and realized that I didn’t know where I had stored a whole box of treasures from an estate/yard sale I had visited this past May.

After a little digging, I finally found the box of goodies and among them was a whazzit. I’ll show you the goodies first and maybe you can help me with that whazzit at the end.

A sweet lady had inherited her brother’s belongings and she held a yard sale to scale down all the many things he had left to her. These are the things that were in the box I brought home….

A handmade stick basket, a Globe bank and a child’s shovel. I wish there had been a pail to go along with the shovel!



A pantry canister jar with a pink lid, a nut grinder and a lidded sugar bowl….



An old batter bowl and a Windsor Cheese box….



Two old Homer Laughlin vegetable bowls….



And finally, that whazzit….



The whazzit is made of cast iron and is the same on both top and bottom. It is 1-3/4” tall and 5” in diameter. The lady told me it was a candle holder. I was skeptical, but you tell me….. Is it a candle holder? If not, what is it?


I’m linking to the following parties:

Vintage Inspiration Party at My Salvaged Treasures

Show and Share at Coastal Charm

11 comments:

  1. It's either a lamp base for oil lamps or a store string holder where they had a round ball of string in it for tying up packages

    that's my guess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the finds and the whazzit, well no idea sorry! I'll be back to see if anyone can tell you what it is!!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been something else before it was used for a candle holder...but I have no idea! LOVE the little shovel, wish I could find a pail AND shovel! My dollies need one. haha Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found your box of treasures...I love the little shovel and the bowl! I think your whazzit is a string holder. It's just put together wrong. Follow this link:https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrB8pk5saZVhW0A7JaJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4NTcEX3IDMgRiY2sDJTIyMXUwZXA1OWFxYTI5ayUyNmIlM0QzJTI2cyUzRGQzJTIyBGZyA3lzZXRfY2hyX3N5Y19vcmFjbGUEZ3ByaWQDVmNLUUhLTS5SSTZteElMdG1jU2gwQQRtdGVzdGlkA251bGwEbl9zdWdnAzEwBG9yaWdpbgNpbWFnZXMuc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMARwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAwRxc3RybAMyMwRxdWVyeQNvbGQgaXJvbiBzdHJpbmcgaG9sZGVycwR0X3N0bXADMTQzNjk4Nzc3NAR2dGVzdGlkA251bGw-;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4NTcEX3IDMgRiY2sDJTIyMXUwZXA1OWFxYTI5ayUyNmIlM0QzJTI2cyUzRGQzJTIyBGZyA3lzZXRfY2hyX3N5Y19vcmFjbGUEZ3ByaWQDVmNLUUhLTS5SSTZteElMdG1jU2gwQQRtdGVzdGlkA251bGwEbl9zdWdnAzEwBG9yaWdpbgNpbWFnZXMuc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMARwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAwRxc3RybAMyMgRxdWVyeQNvbGQgaXJvbiBzdHJpbmcgaG9sZGVyBHRfc3RtcAMxNDM2OTg3Nzg5BHZ0ZXN0aWQDbnVsbA--;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4NTcEX3IDMgRiY2sDJTIyMXUwZXA1OWFxYTI5ayUyNmIlM0QzJTI2cyUzRGQzJTIyBGZyA3lzZXRfY2hyX3N5Y19vcmFjbGUEZ3ByaWQDVmNLUUhLTS5SSTZteElMdG1jU2gwQQRtdGVzdGlkA251bGwEbl9zdWdnAzEwBG9yaWdpbgNpbWFnZXMuc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMARwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAwRxc3RybAMyMgRxdWVyeQNvbGQgaXJvbiBzdHJpbmcgaG9sZGVyBHRfc3RtcAMxNDM2OTg3NzkzBHZ0ZXN0aWQDbnVsbA--?gprid=VcKQHKM.RI6mxILtmcSh0A&pvid=gFn3MDY5LjEfAdkqVaUJNAh1NjcuNAAAAADFt5Rk&p=old+iron+string+holder&fr=yset_chr_syc_oracle&fr2=sb-top-images.search.yahoo.com&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt&y=Search

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're on to something, Judy. It looked like an oil lamp holder to me but if it were put together like a ball, it could definitely be a string holder.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! I didn't know that link was going to be so long! Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do the same thing, and it's always fun to discover our treasures for a second time. Sounds like the "whazzit" mystery has been solved. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds! I've seen this before at an auction. It was put together like a ball and held string! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of those old Homer Laughlin vegetable bowls! Never knew what it was. I just liked it. I found a whazzit once and it turned out to be a match holder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is always fun to find "hidden treasures" -- again! It could be a candle holder, but.,.,,,?

    ReplyDelete
  10. a string holder
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/391148200910?lpid=82&chn=ps

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!