Thursday, May 7, 2015

My Attempt at a “Junk” Sign

I know you have all seen the signs that Betsy of My Salvaged Treasures creates from jewelry, pieces of metal and whatever else she finds. If you haven’t seen them, check here.

I finally managed to gather a few trinkets from here and there and decided to try my hand at making a “junk sign” inspired by Betsy’s unique creations.



I found the piece of wood in a store parking lot. It was the perfect size…. I just had to spray it lightly with flat white paint so my rusty junk letters would show up. I bought the knobs at an estate sale. They are from an old Frigidaire stove. The other pieces were in my garage…. I hope they weren’t important to my hubby!

Since the knobs were round, I knew they had to become “O”s so COOK became the perfect word for my sign.  I decided to make the sign vertical and added a hook (made from one of the pieces of metal) at the bottom for hanging a dishtowel.



What do you think?  How did I do?




I liked it, but Betsy usually adds some bling to her signs. So with a little more digging I found the perfect touch.




Now that’s better!


I’m linking to the following party:


Vintage Inspiration Link Party at My Salvaged Treasures

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE it, Sherry! The use of the stove knobs is perfect for the word COOK. Great idea to use the hook, and a little bling always makes everything look better. Pinning to my "cool signs" board. Thanks so much for inspiring us at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, it is adorable!! You did a great job. Love the stove knobs and the bling is perfect. I see Betsy already told you what a great job you did!! Now you both have made me want to make a 'junk' sign!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The stove knobs were a stroke of genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! That is super cool and you find some of the strangest things ever, so you should do more of these! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out really cute! Love the "Os"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sherry,
    Late to the party but wanted to say I love your sign...and especially the fact that you used a piece of wood you found in a store parking lot! I haven't tried this yet but see a lot of signs done this way on other blogs. You've inspired me to give it a try!
    Cheryl at 22 Applegate Lane

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great! I love the stove knobs. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!