Thursday, October 23, 2014

Barn Sale and More!

As the temperatures cool off around here, so do the number of sales; however, I was pleased to attend my first barn sale last weekend. Things were a little pricey for resell but I did manage to find a few things there and at a couple of yard sales being held nearby.

One vendor had several old doorknobs, so I bargained for these…..



I bought a blue Cameoware (Harker China) serving bowl and a brown Monmouth mixing bowl….



The pink child’s mug is another piece of Cameoware. A perky pixie perches on a small Shawnee planter and Smiley (also Shawnee) is an orphan salt/pepper shaker that I couldn’t leave behind….



Of course, it’s always a good day when I find Pyrex….




Our Christmas Open House is quickly approaching and my office is stacked with projects and boxes of items that will be displayed soon. For example, this sweet bottlebrush tree was bought without a base; so I upcycled an old spool to accommodate it. It’s pictured with a vintage Santa that I found recently.



Finally, I wanted to show you the “before” and “after” of a project I just finished.

I found this small chest of drawers (think large jewelry box) a few months ago. I’m from the Magnolia State, but the painted magnolias really did not appeal to me. The chest had good bones, as they say, so I bought it and put it in the garage until I found some inspiration for its make-over.



Well, it sat there…..



And sat there….



And finally inspiration came in the form of some old yardsticks and now…….




She measures up!


I’m linking to the following parties:

Vintage Inspiration Link Party at My Salvaged Treasures
What’s It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Thrifty Things Friday at Melissa’s Antiques
Fabulous Friday at Simple Nature Decor

Make It Monday at Distressed Donna Down Home

19 comments:

  1. Wow, my eyes lit up when I saw your doorknobs, but when I saw your chest of drawers, they just about popped out. I love the transformation and the clever use of yardsticks. Thanks so much Sherry for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry,
    I just love those old doorknobs. I actually love doorknobs so much that I keep a basket of them on my living room coffee table...really! People love looking at them. To me, they each tell a story. Love the bottlebrush tree and Pyrex piece too. Good job finding all of these goodies at this time of year! Hard to believe we're already talking about Christmas, huh?
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. You find treasures even when sales are few in number! Love them all -- especially the chest! (And yes, she measures up!)

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using the spool for the tree base..brilliant! And the chest would be wonderful for storing sewing items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The yardsticks took that 'over the top' in cuteness! I love it! And it's fun to find vintage Christmas and the doorknobs are great. I don't think I've ever seen any in all of my thrifting! Enjoy your day! Did you see the quilted bear was featured at Betsy's? I was so surprised! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, your chest is about the cutest thing I've seen lately! Love the yardstick look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chest turned out great. LOVE the doorknobs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That little chest is wonderful with the rulers! WOW!! You really changed it up! Love the little bottle brush tree and that planter with the pixie! So many cute things and those door knobs...amazing!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOve your jewelry box, the yard sticks are perfect! I have never been to a barn sale...How fun!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you did to the Chest.
    Funny but your pyrex find is the exact casserole we use for most things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun makeover of the jewelry chest, Sherry! The yardsticks are such a fun and unexpected idea! I am drooling over that gorgeous crystal door knob! The knobs were a lucky find, will you be repurposing those, too?

    ReplyDelete
  12. In lust over the doorknobs. Great transformation of the chest. I have been saving yardsticks for a future project, but then I tell myself don't use that one or that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the finds, you have a really nice blog, love if you share this on Fabulous Friday Party
    http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-fridayhalloween-party/
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sherry. The little chest of drawers turned out so cute! You found some great stuff. I love the spool base on the bottle brush tree. Have a great weekend!

    Hugs, Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice finds.....I'm already excited to get out Christmas goodies. Thanks for sharing your treasures with us at Make It Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the treasures you found! Thanks for sharing @ TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love that chest! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by a a few weeks ago at my Fabulous Friday Party and it was really nice to meet you here at the party! the barn sale looked successful and hope you had a great Halloween.
    Stop by this Friday for another Party Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!