Monday, July 21, 2014

"Knot" Another Hang-Up!

I have noticed the use of rope and twine in many of the recent interior décor catalogs. 

Pottery Barn catalog
With so many items covered in rope and sisal, I guess it’s not surprising that macramé has become part of that trend. There seems to be a difference, though. Today’s macramé seems to be lighter in appearance than the macramé of a few decades ago. Where one could hardly see a plant peeking out from a heavily knotted jute plant hanger of the 70’s, the new macramé is thinner so the container it holds, often clear glass, is more visible.


Since I made some of those heavy plant hangers back in the 70's, I decided to try my hand at knotting some of the new lighter versions. I had long ago thrown away my macramé instruction books, but I did a little online research, bought some jute from Hobby Lobby and just made up the designs as I went along. I was surprised how many of the knotting techniques came back to me once I got the cord in my hands.


I call my knotted creations “Hang-ups” (not just plant hangers) because they can hold so much more than plants. For example, one could fill the glass bowl with seashells, colored glass, broken china bits, sea glass, trinkets, etc. 



I've displayed my “Hang-ups” above a newly-created beach tablescape in my booth.



Did you recognize the striped tray above from this post?


A little chalkboard paint transformed an old clipboard.... now it's an instant to-do list and photo holder!

The top of a vintage picnic basket looked drab and sad to me, 

So I re-painted it with a two-tone aqua chevron design.







 Do you remember Macrame?

10 comments:

  1. Of course I remember macrame...and the Annette book, too! I love finding cute books like this one! Enjoy your afternoon my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed a lot of macrame lately, but with a slightly different twist. I never learned, but my mom was addicted, so I had a lot of it hanging around. Love your clever clipboards and the picnic basket looks so much better with some cheerful paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, yes macrame. I never had the patience to do it, but I must say I'm loving the newer lighter versions you just made. I think one filled with shells would be awesome! Your beach themed table is adorable!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- what talent -- and memory! Love the hangups. Tell me about the seashell planter.

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. how creative of you to be knotting again Sherry ! Of course in my endeavors - I stay as far away from knots as possible LOL - Hope you and DH are doing well and having a good summer - Hugs Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there's a huge come back of rope and the macramé from the 70's...I used to love!
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness yes, I was a macrame making teen of the 70's.....Which it makes it had for me to like it now lol! I know it is all popular again. I love the chevron on the picnic basket!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I remember macrame. I always wanted on those big hanging chairs made out of macrame.
    My Mom took a class once and made wonderful flower pot hangers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I do! We had the super large hanging end table one, wish I had it now.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember macrame & love your idea of filling glass bowls with seashells or sea glass. I think it would be beautiful. I have "found" & then lost track of checking in a few times with your blog. I really like it & wonder if you would consider adding email subscriptions? I'd sign up immediately. In the meantime I'll keep checking in when I can. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!