Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I Own Part of an Empire!

Well, maybe not a REAL empire but a piece of Empire Green china!


  
A sweet customer of mine recently told me about a beautiful china pattern with a large pink flower in the center and a rich wide green border. She said it was called Empire Green and made by Homer Laughlin China. Since I love to learn about new things, I did a little research on Ebay and Replacements. She was right. It was very elegant. I had never seen the pattern “in person” until a couple of weeks ago when I found and bought 3 gorgeous pieces at an estate sale.

Empire Green dinner plate, 16" oval platter & covered vegetable bowl

Empire Green was, indeed, made by Homer Laughlin but is not marked as such. The pattern was sold by the Century Service Corporation which was a part of Cunningham and Pickett. This is the mark on my platter. 



Even though the china is not marked with the usual HLC mark, it can be found in HLC books and under HLC listings online.



Do You Own Part of an Empire?

I'm linking the the following parties:

What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants

12 comments:

  1. I really love this pattern and could easily toss all the others I have and just have this in my china cabinet! Its hard to find here..I would love a whole set of it. It is really pretty in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful empire you found! I don't think I've ever seen this pattern before, it must be really hard to find. Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister has a china cabinet full of those dishes, She loves them also .
    I am amazed they hold such a price at the flea market and antiques mall around here,
    She bought her covered dish on ebay for $90 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    what got her started is our Grandmother had 3 of those plates hanging on her kitchen wall all the years we were growing up , someone had given them to grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've seen this pattern but it is very beautiful. I see so many odd plates at the old thrift store....stacks of them. I wish I had a china cabinet in this house! lol Enjoy your week my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It truly is a regal pattern befitting it's name. HL is a favorite to collect as he had so many variations in ceramics from café service to fine china. Your pieces are beautiful and I imagine will be hard to part with, but if you are like me...can't keep it all. I'm about to re-open a booth here in town, and will be making some decisions on what goes and what stays. Great find...congratulations!
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some gorgeous pieces of a lovely pattern. The rose is so pretty. I don't think I've ever seen it either but just might have to keep my eyes open for a plate for my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it.. I have it in the Grey color ring.. I have a Tea pot and a couple of other pieces.. the Green looks wonderful .. Happy Wednesday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen a few of these pieces. This pattern is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No I don't own any, but have seen it in the past. Thanks for the little history lesson on it..I always love to learn something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Aunt had this gorgeous pattern for her Sunday best. I've always loved it.
    Great find!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at Empire. An older lady was our neighbor in a former location, and one morning I had to use her oven...mine broke at the moment I was baking cinnamon rolls for our Bible study. She opened a cabinet for a potholder and I spotted the teapot, sugar and creamer and commented how beautiful. SHE GAVE THEM TO ME on the spot. Must I say I still squeal when I think about it? They have pride of place in my china cabinet, and I think of Mrs. Ruth everytime I see them. :) Warning: they're addictive!(It's such a perfect shade of green!)
    ~april

    ReplyDelete
  12. An elderly lady gave me some dessert bowls in Empire Green. International China Co; Alliance, Ohio.

    I am very pleased with the refrigerator bowl! Thanks,
    deb

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!