Wednesday, February 12, 2014

“After the Snow” Estate Sale – Part 2


I promised to show you some more treasures I found at an estate sale held a couple of weeks ago just after our rare Deep South snow. The goodies in Part 1 were more sweet and pretty than the ones in this post. Rusty, crusty and primitive more closely describe the treasures in this Part 2-post. I know many of you prefer “rusty gold” so here we go….

I got this metal box after 2PM that day, so it was half price. I’m not sure what it was used for, but I liked the decorative painting. I’m thinking a mailbox….what do you think?



I can find NO information on this unusual brown metal box. Perhaps you can help. It’s marked Drinkwater Food Container, C. M. Drinkwater & Co., Chicago, Ill. USA, Size B (approx. 10x6x9.5). The clips on the top slide outward for removal of the lid. It’s very heavy and has a military vibe to it.



Another half-price find was this vintage J&J General First Aid Kit. 


It even had some of the original first aid items inside. 


How can you use an old kit like this? Well, check out a great post that Pam at House of Hawthornes published last year. She showed us how to use these old first aid kits as bathroom décor and storage.


On the primitive side, I found an old basket, a crudely-made stoneware pitcher and a heavy (5 lb) stoneware dog bowl; at least, I’m assuming it’s a dog bowl. There is no maker’s mark on either stoneware piece.



And finally, a couple of metal loaf pans and rusty recipe boxes are perfect targets for a little burlap embellishment. The smallest box was even full of handwritten recipes!!!




Do you prefer Sweet&Pretty or Rusty&Crusty?


I’m linking to the following parties:


What’s It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove

16 comments:

  1. Wow what a haul for so late in the sale. I'm really surprised these items were still there. I'm kind of a rusty gal myself, but sweet and pretty works too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love both! and really enjoy your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you found those metal boxes and half price? They are so hot right now and bonus still some goodies in the first aide box!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found some real treasures, Sherry! That second piece is really neat, I wonder what it was used for? My mom has a metal recipe box just like that green one, I think she's had it since the early 1940's. While I love sweet & pretty the best, I still like rusty and crusty, too! After a good bath, that is:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/military-insulated-food-cabinet-container
    How big is the flowered box? Maybe a milk box for cream and cottage cheese?
    Love all your finds.
    Found a better one- with photos.
    http://www.med-dept.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=213&start=30

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did find some great boxes and rusty crusty! Love the first aid kit! I'm a Sweet & Pretty for sure, but love rusty-crusty just don't decorate much with it!! Hugs, LInda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Tete, I think the first box with the flowers was orignially a milk box for home deliveries.
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that old first aid kit but I guess I'll stay with the stack of old books as my favs! lol Stay warm this week! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My decorating style is so eclectic that I love the sweet & rusty both! You found some great stuff, especially that First Aid kit. Lucky you to have an estate sale this time of year :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the vintage bread pans I have a few and can't part with them yet. I like the waffle pattern on them

    Happy Valentine's Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you know I LOVE the first aid kit! Love the rusty, crustiness of it too. And thanks for the shout out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geez I am in need of an estate sale! I haven't been to one in way too long. All this snowed in is making me itchy to get out there! Great finds. I featured this post today at TTG FB page! I hope you have a wonderful day! https://www.facebook.com/thethriftygroove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the shout out, Diann!!! I hope you find an estate sale very soon!

      Delete
  13. Great finds. That post by Pam was amazing, you've got a perfect candidate there. Love the stoneware, too.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!