Thursday, February 6, 2014

“After the Snow” Estate Sale – Part 1


Snow Storm Leon melted away just in time for an estate sale this past weekend. That was excellent timing since we were house-bound for a couple of days due to the ice and snow and were ready to do some plundering. The estate sale was held for only one day, but I found so many things that I’m going to reveal them to you in two posts. I’m showing you the sweet and pretty goodies today….next time I’ll show you the rusty, crusty, primitive things.

The sale started at 8AM…..Mom and I got there about 10AM….then we went back at 2PM when they marked everything half price. Thank goodness it was held here in town, only a few miles away.

One of the half-price things I picked up was a bag of crocheted doilies and lace. There were also two nice sets of embroidered pillowcases.



I love ball pitchers. This one is by Universal Cambridge in the Woodvine pattern and it came with matching salt and pepper shakers.



Along with the Bauer #12 mustard-colored mixing bowl, I picked up an avocado green enamelware ladle and a Mexican tile. I was told the apron is a Native American design.



Of course, I found some old books….among them, a Hardy Boy mystery and an interesting book on Kit Carson.



I’ve always heard of McGuffey’s Readers. I found one along with a McCoy pitcher and a sweet Red Wing vase.



Lastly I uncovered a blue Frankoma planter and a sweet demitasse cup and saucer that is not marked, but I think is probably Blue Ridge. Check out that needlepoint pillow. Can you imagine the hours someone spent doing the needlepoint and making all those color changes?



Stay tuned for Part 2!


I’m linking to the following parties:

What’s It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants

Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove

Junkin Joe at The Cottage Market

13 comments:

  1. You really scored Sherry. I think my favorite is the needlepoint pillow. Looking forward to seeing all your rusty, crusty, and primitive treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never pass up old books. Even if I don't like the story, the covers are usually so pretty. I love to display them in color groupings throughout my house. Can't wait to see what else you found!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great haul! That red wing vase is gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your finds. Now, I'll take that pitcher right off your hands and of course all the books and linen. I guess that doesn't leave much for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many pretty things! I love the ball pitcher and matching s&p. The red wing vase is amazing and I also would love to have that pillow!! Can't wait to see the rusty/crusty buys! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and Sherry, thanks for linking to TTF this week!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you got some fun finds there! Don't you love to hit a gat estate sale? We had one this fall for my MIL's estate, and people had a blast. I would have kept it all, it that was highly impractical to say the least. LOL

    Dropping by for Thrifty Things Friday!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of your finds. I have a weakness for vintage pottery, so I especially love the Red Wing and McCoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds -- the pillow is awesome!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that pitcher and the vintage books! After our snow it rained and canceled everything. Boo-hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. makes me sad to see someone's needlework end up in a yard or tag sale. Guess that is where all my treasures will end up one day. Hope you and Rodney have a great V-Day - Melody

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I love old pillowcases! And give me that stack of books and I could stay entertained for days! You find the best stuff my friend! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, now I know that the pitchers are called ball pitchers. I didn't know that before. I have one or two and I really like the shape :) I have an old McGuffey's reader handed down through the family. The embroidered pillowcases are nice, too. Recently, I stumbled across some that I worked on as a young girl with the help of my grandmother. They are somewhat discolored though and I'm not sure what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!