Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Little Pampering


If you have read my last two posts, you know that I found some interesting vintage items at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, most of them needed a little tender loving care. It’s always nice to find pristine items for my booth, but if the truth be told, usually items need a little pampering before they are ready to be sold. Sometimes that pampering is as simple as a good soap-and-water bath…..most of the time it takes a little more effort.

I still haven’t decided what to do with the old rusty first aid kit, but I thought you might like to see the TLC I gave to some of the other items I bought at that estate sale.....

Remember these stained doilies….


After a good soaking in Vintage Textile Soak, they are ready for display.


I sell Vintage Textile Soak in my booth because I am so impressed with the job it does AND it’s easy on the hands.




The pretty Universal ball pitcher had a little roughness on the lip which allowed a nasty color to penetrate the china.


I just soaked the tip for a few hours in some 40% peroxide (you can find it at a beauty supply store, like Sally’s).


Here’s what it looks like now. Yes, the roughness is still there, but not the stain.




This interesting tole-painted metal box was a little very dirty. 


Using a light hand, I cleaned it with Barkeepers Friend, followed that with a coat of paste wax, and now it’s booth-worthy.



Finally, I added some character to a vintage loaf pan and an old card file with burlap and stenciling.







I’m linking to the following parties:

What’s It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the great tips Sherry, everything looks so much better. I have a load of linens that could use that textile soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, I love the way everything looks! Great tips for cleaning things. I might have to look for some of that textile cleaner.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fabulous job restoring these items. Love the burlap and stenciling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to remember that tip for the peroxide soak! I never would have thought of that--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a miracle worker -- everything looks great!!!!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips for cleaning stuff up! I have a couple pieces that need the peroxide soaking. I'll stop by the beauty supply place to pick some up (although they might kidnap me and try to die my roots match the rest of my hair).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can we get the vintage textile soak if we don't live near your booth?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the tips! I am definitely going to check out the textile soak.

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a beautiful job you did of getting that pitcher pretty! Where can you find the soak. Wow, big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the tole painted box and of course the nice cleaned up pitcher. I always enjoy fixing things up after finding them at great prices

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Great saves on those. I love that you were able to revive the needlework and the pitcher.

    Have a great weekend!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! I have tried the textile soak before and loved it! and I have never tried the hydrogen peroxide...Magic. I say just a little clean up on the first aide kit and see if it will sell?

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!