Monday, September 23, 2013

Estate Sale Drama!

A couple of weekends ago, Mom and I got up extra early to get to an estate sale that was being held in a nearby community. I had looked at the pictures on estatesales.net and had spotted a set of aqua/white Pyrex Cinderella nesting bowls and it looked like they were in the Butterprint pattern. Without a close-up view I couldn’t determine their condition, but it didn’t matter. I knew I wanted to be first to check them out. There were other kitchenware items, like a Corning Ware teapot, that I spotted so it would be worth the trip.


We arrived early enough to be within 15 people from the door. Mom and I had decided that she would head straight to the kitchen and try to get that Corning Ware teapot and I was going to find the Pyrex nesting set which, from the pictures, looked like they were sitting on the dining room table.

The door opened promptly at 7AM, we filed through the back door and right into the kitchen. I pointed Mom to the cabinet with the Corning Ware teapot and hoped she would be successful. I headed to where I thought the dining room might be. I finally spotted the table where the Pyrex bowls had been pictured and my heart fell…..they were not there. Someone else had wanted them too.

Oh, well…..that’s all part of going to an estate sale. You win some, you lose some. At least that’s what I told myself.

I headed back to the kitchen to help Mom and see what else I could find. Instead of seeing her frantically reaching for kitchenware goodies (like I would have been), she was just standing there. I noticed a lady walking by with a box full of stuff and "my" teapot was on top. She also had a copy of a local cookbook that I search for. It was not going to be my day!

I told Mom that the Pyrex bowls were already taken and she just glanced down and calmly said, “I think this is what you’re looking for.” I looked down and there on the kitchen table was the Pyrex nesting set. I had walked right past them in my haste to find the dining room. I grabbed them to check for cracks and chips. They were perfect! 

Mom saved the day!!!



Thank you, Mom!!!




I’ll be holding on to this set until our Christmas Open House, November 3, where they will be prominently displayed in my booth. Meanwhile….stay tuned and I’ll show you some of the other things I found at that estate sale.

16 comments:

  1. Love those mommas! They take care of us no matter how old we get! Hugs for your mom! Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww - sweet story! Glad you found what you were looking for. All too often people walk from sales with 'my' stuff! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was definitely your lucky day. They're quite a find and it's no wonder you just had to have them. I know exactly how you felt when you made a dash only to discover they were gone. You and your mom make quite a team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay I am so happy you found what you were looking for! I love that pattern as well.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for mom! Glad you got them. Sorry about the teapot and cook book. Can't wait to see what else you found there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it would be poor estate sale etiquette to trip the lady with your teapot, but getting the bowls made your trip well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful bowls, so glad you got them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this set in the Cinderella style! Great find, thanks to your Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for Mom! You two are real diehards, getting up so early! What a great find. I was expecting to read about a fist fight or something when I read about "drama" in your title:)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me on the edge of my seat with that story! I am so glad you got the bowls, what a treasure! Yea MOM!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!!! Sometimes we are too excited and miss with our eyes the treasures we are looking for! Glad it all ended up right! Pretty bowl set.
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Mama! She knows how to get in there with the best of them! Love this story. Hope you and your Mama are both doing well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hooray for Mrs Betty! I love the bowls. I THINK I will be able to attend on the 3rd!!!!!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Divide and conquer! It's funny how I think a lot of us stake out the items we want based on the photos provided. Your mom is looking out for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always just sick when I stand in line for an hour at an estate sale and then miss the item I wanted
    So glad you got the bowls

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sad you didn't get your tea pot =/ but atleast got your butterprint bowls. I would hate that. I have been to estate sales but I never have been to ones where you have to stand in line and get a number. I couldn't do it because if the item I wanted wasn't there, it would ruin my whole day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!