Monday, April 22, 2013

“Yard-Long” Prints


Dealing in vintage items gives me the opportunity to learn something “new” almost every day. I often buy objects that I don’t know anything about, just so I can do research on them.


That was the case a few weeks ago when Mom and I spotted a framed print of a pretty lady with roses in her hair while shopping at an estate sale. We thought she was charming, so I bought her. The print is 36” tall and only 7” wide.



The only marking on the print is the name C. W. Henning so that was the beginning point of my research. I would love to have learned more, but I have found out that she is one of many “yard-long” prints featuring pretty ladies drawn by several artists of which C. W. Henning was one. She is called a “Pabst Girl” because this print is affiliated with the marketing of Pabst Extracts. The prints were distributed in the early 1900s, so I am thrilled that this print is in good shape despite its 100+ years of age.


I also learned that yard-long prints, both vertical and horizontal, were very popular at the turn of the 20th century. They featured not only pretty ladies, but animals and flowers too.

11 comments:

  1. What a great discovery Sherry. I don't think I've ever seen a vertical yard-long, only the horizontal ones that usually show large groups of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry I love how you buy interesting things, learn about them and then share that knowledge with us! This is charming and would fit in many homes as a great vintage treasure!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning new things keeps us young! Somehow I knew about yard long pictures...I have smaller versions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when I learn about something I have never seen before! Fun find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG>>>What a find! I have never seen one with a person on it...I love it!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me a little bit of Patti Banister prints. I love how long it is

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful detail in the painting. You are lucky to have her and I would imagine she's worth quite a bit. Don't let her go cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is a great picture. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty! I've seen many of these prints before, but never realized they were referred to as "yard long prints". What a lucky find:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. she is pretty and I have seen these most of my years of collecting in the 1980's
    I have a yard long which is roses
    the ladies are all so pretty, they use to be in victorian homes

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!