Monday, March 25, 2013

Calling All Space Cadets!



Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books are close to the top of my treasure-hunt list. I’ve been fortunate to find enough of them to keep one in the booth most of the time.



Grosset & Dunlap, the publisher of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, had another popular line of youth books that is a bit harder to find…..Tom Swift. Tom’s adventures were played out in outer space or in the depths of the sea.


I can remember finding only one Tom Swift Adventure in the last few years, but the luck of the Irish must have been with me a couple of weeks ago when I found three Tom Swift books!


The young boys of the 1950s and 1960s must have been thrilled to read about Tom’s adventures in space. I’ll bet the girls found them interesting, too!


Oh, and if Tom Swift’s adventures weren't enough, there was Tom Corbett Space Cadet! 


It's funny that Tom Corbett was also published by Grosset & Dunlap....


I guess “Tom” was a popular name for space travelers!

12 comments:

  1. And then there was Cherry Ames too, I had a few of her books, but Nancy Drew were my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Nancy Drew and have a small collection of the books... my sister has a much larger collection than I. I had never heard of the Toms in space and sea before... But how wonderful that these books were there for the young boys of the time. I only had sisters, so I didn't keep up with the boy things of that era. But after I had a son myself, things changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that cover art - never heard of ol' Tom before but looks like he had some awesome adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom is new to me, but I loved Nancy!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, space cadet here! I have never seen space books from that era. Those are pretty "far out"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you and the lucky person who finds them in your booth. Wouldn't it be nice if these books could still keep young kids entertained for hours?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the books! And how in the world are you able to sell them??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who knew they were good sellers! I have never heard of the space cadet, I am on the look out now!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Nancy Drew and always buy them whenever I find them at yard sales. I'm hoping my 7 year old daughter will enjoy them as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Nancy Drew books but mostly from the library! Great finds and I'm sure they sell well.
    hug,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved nancy drew and had the whole set - wish I still had them but I gave them away to another young girl in our neighborhood. Another set I loved reading was Trixie Belden - do you remember them??? Hope you and your DH are doing well. Happy Easter ! Melody

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherry, you find the neatest things. Thanks for sharing your treasure hunts with us.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!