Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pretty Hankies


Since I was born AK (after Kleenex), I don’t know a lot about handkerchiefs, or hankies, as we lovingly call them. I know they are little works of art and were once quite the necessity BK (before Kleenex)!


Occasionally I find hankies at an estate sale and I always pick out one or two special ones to put in the booth. I especially like the ones that have scalloped, rolled, crocheted or tatted edges.


Many months ago I found a pretty hankie with a tiny Burmel Original label attached to it. I decided to research Burmel before I sold it. I couldn’t find any information on Burmel, so I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. A few months later I found a linen hankie with a Carol Stanley label. I added it to the drawer along with the Burmel hankie with the intent to research both. That didn’t happen.



Not until this past weekend, when I found another labeled Burmel hankie in a rich hot pink color, did I decide to again do some research. Other than finding quite a few hankies listed on Ebay, Etsy and Ruby Lane, I'm sorry to say that I haven’t been able to find out anything specific about Burmel or Carol Stanley.


I do know that the hankies are colorful and pretty and deserve to be owned by someone that will use or display them rather than put them in the back of a drawer; therefore, I’ll be putting them in my booth soon.




Do you have some Pretty Hankies?

17 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry ~ I love little hankies and I have seen a valance made out of little hankies in a kitchen. So cute ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty. I love the shaped and tatted edges, too. I have a few floral (daisy) hankies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't they so pretty and delicate? I love the vibrant purples on the first one. I always have several in my inventory and keep picking them up when I find a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. The internet is so good for doing research but sometimes there's just not any info on old businesses. These are all so pretty. I buy hankies when I find them! They are special. Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I collect hankies, especially children's hankies. I enclose them whenever I give cards to my 3 granddaughters. They make wonderful keepsakes from Mom Mom and are easy to store in special boxes that I've also given to them. They also love playing with them. Check out the book, Hankie Couture, by Marsha Greenberg. She handcrafts doll fashions from vintage hankies and they are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can find a clean handkerchief in each of my purses and in every coat pocket. You hankies are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Renee.
    AK.... I like that. I love vintage hankies, and if they are priced reasonable, I can't pass them up. I can remember my mom and aunts all using hankies. I also remember my mom buying Kleenex, then when Puffs came out, she switched brands. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a whole box of hankies from my grandmother. All used though. Some look very very used! I love that first one. Very festive looking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to collect them (well, sort of!), and finally had to weed them out! Love the purple one, it's gorgeous! I once saw a dust ruffle made out of just vintage hankies, it was so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mom used to collect hankies, I have them now, all four hundred plus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some pretty hankies! I have a few and just enjoy looking at them from time to time. I remember using them as a young girl! My Mom always had one in her purse!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hankies are lovely! Did you ask if we had "some pretty hankies?" I must have at least 500 (it's an addiction- I admit it). I just love the colors, patterns, and graphics. Someday, I may part with some of them...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of these hankies! I, too pick up many from estate sales and I use them to wrap purchases in my etsy shop. I'm running out so I've got to grab some more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always loved the dainty little white hankies, and also the beautiful ones liked you posted
    I use to have a suitcase full and sold them at one of my yard sales when the hankie skirts were popular

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both my grandmothers carried hankies -- I can hardly keep up with Kleenex! But, it's a sign of the times -- convenience.
    Yours are beautiful!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes...I do love vintage hankies...my favorites are the monogram ones.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are great hankies, seldom do I find them with the tags still on them. I have quite a few in my booth, although they are not great money makers, they are great sellers!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!