Saturday, January 12, 2013

First Whazzit of 2013


Mom was travelling to a nearby town with one of her lady friends a few days ago and she spotted an interesting yard sale. She called me on her cellphone (she probably had to turn it on to call me!) and told me about this great looking roadside sale, so I went to check it out.

The first thing that caught my eye was this attractive lidded basket. It was about 9-10” tall and its diameter about the same.

Of course the first thing I did was to remove the lid….


What a surprise!…..it was padded inside (the lid, too) with a beautiful red print fabric....


I asked the seller what the basket was used for. She didn’t know…said it had belonged to her mother-in-law. She thought it was a sewing basket. But since the vertical side of the padding was hard I didn’t think it was a sewing basket. After studying at it for a minute, I thought it might have held a hat…..you know, upside down with the brim resting on the top ledge. The price was only a few dollars, so I bought it just to research the strange basket.

Spoiler alert: I will identify the basket in the next paragraph!

I immediately went online to Ebay and started a search…. I tried “padded basket,” “lined basket,” “hatbox basket”…. Finally I found an auction for a TEAPOT in a padded basket!!! Another search for “teapot in a basket” resulted in several teapots in baskets similar to mine. YAY! Now I know and maybe one day I’ll find a teapot for the basket!

*********

That would have been a pretty good ending to the story BUT…… a couple of days after finding the basket, I was in a nearby thrift store. Oh, yes, I did!!!  I found a teapot that I thought might fit the basket.


They don’t accept refunds or exchanges at that thrift store, so I hurried home to get the basket. The clerk let me check to see if the teapot would fit.




EUREKA! It was a match!!!



Did you know what the basket was used for?
Do you have additional information?


I’m linking to the following parties:

Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Be Inspired Friday at Common Ground
Gratitude Sunday at A La Carte

14 comments:


  1. I have seen those before with the tea pot inside

    Glad it came together for you, the tea pot looks like it always lived in your basket

    good find

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! What a great find on the teapot that fit in perfectly!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous basket! I've never seen one like this - so nice to learn something new.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was meant to be! Two fabulous finds and perfect for each other. My first guess was a hat box, but it was too padded. I wonder if they shipped the teapot in these? Or maybe it was just to keep it safe when not in use. Either way, mystery solved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just wild! I would never have guessed a teapot basket! But it's very neat! I love the pretty colors and I love baskets! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love it. I always learn something new from your blog. Thanks and Blessings, Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was a snake basket LOL!!!! You are a lucky girl to find a teapot right away!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun. I have never seen a teapot basket. :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun find Sherry! And so unique. You know I love that! Thank you for sharing at TTF. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would not have known what that was at all. It is very cool and love that you found a teapot to fit inside! Thanks for joining my Gratitude party this week!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool. Never saw that before. You really did your research! I love when I find something like that and then have to search and search.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love baskets -- and this one is beautiful!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute - such a lucky find. Would have never dreamed there was such a thing as a teapot basket.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi dear friend, I was surprised to read that it was a teapot basket! How cool is that! But, I am so curious now. What sort of occassion would this have been used in? Would it have been used to ship a pretty teapot in? Or maybe the help served hot tea transported outdoor for luncheon on the patio or should I say lanai? Or maybe it was used on pic nics? What else did you find out? Do share! Hugs, Ames

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!