Thursday, December 13, 2012

Back to the Future?



‘Tis the season for giving the gift of time. Have you noticed all of the 2013 calendars in the stores? There’s a calendar for the hobby or interest of almost everyone on your Christmas list. I took this picture in Big Lots just this morning.


There have always been paper calendars to give; but not too long ago it was popular to give calendar towels. The recipient could hang it up and refer to it all year, then extend its usefulness by using it to dry dishes in the years that follow. I think I even saw a 2013 calendar towel a couple of weeks ago! Now why didn't I buy it????

I still find colorful vintage calendar towels from time to time. They are especially fun to own if the year is a birth year for a family member or special friend. Many of them are made of 100% linen.


Here are a few of the calendar towels I have in the booth now……

A couple from the 90’s……


One from 1987…..


Two from 1972….


One from 1971….


And even one from 1964…..


Do you own any vintage calendar towels???


I’m linking to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove

20 comments:

  1. Those are such fun! Feels like a long time since I've seen a calendar towel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a whole year of the cloth calendars that elderly family made for me. They are deceased now, but I still treasure the calendars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my parents always had these. My aunt and uncle would give them a new one every Christmas. Oh how I wish I had some of those now. You have a great collection Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any now, but I remember having them in the '70s! They were nice for the kitchen! Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know they still made those. The graphics were always interesting. You have a nice selection of them.
    :)
    C

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to get these for my Mother In Law! I see them every once in awhile but often they are really faded. Yours are pretty and bright! I think they are a good idea!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look to be in great shape, usually they are faded and not very nice. I haven't seen a new one in a long time either...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them and always pick them up when I see them. I have seen them made into pillows and aprons lately. The old towels last forever!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always used to give my Grandmother one of these. However, did you know that calendars "repeat"? In other words, a calendar from 1963, 1974, 1985 or 1991 will have the same numbering sequence as 2013. So if you have a calendar towel from one of those years, you can use it during the coming year! (http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/repeating.html?year=2013&country=27)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A dear aunt gave me a calendar towel in the '80s. Still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do own one dish towel calendar. they are hard to find while out thrifting but, I always keep my eye out for them! Thank you for sharing at TTF Sherry. I hope you have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I just have one from the year I was born-- let's just say it is considered vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such sweet memories

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mom got one each year and sewed sequins on the dates of everyone's birthdays. When I went off to college, she used all the calendar towels from my birth year onward and made me a quilt out of them. It's one of my treasured possessions. Thanks for reminding me of how much I love my calendar towels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have calendar towels and I use them! It's fun to find "special" years and the towels are so durable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have several I've stashed some where. I always get excited if I find a "good" year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use to give my Grandmother a linen calendar every year with a blue motif. I can still see them hanging in her kitchen by the garage door...in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've not seen calender towels in, well, years! You have a great collection, Sherry! I remember my mom having them while I was growing up, I'll have to see if she still has them!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great collection. I bet your booth is amazing!!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!