Monday, November 26, 2012

Pick While You Can!

It pays to pick while the picking’s good, because the holidays usually mean the end of yard sales for the season. Yes, there are thrift stores, but I often get sticker shock at the price of vintage items there. I even sell some of the same items for less than the thrifts!

I did save a couple of items to show you that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. My best recent find was this awesome crocheted apron that I found on a table piled with old clothes.


I usually look past the clothes, but I guess that red edging caught my eye.  I’m just now showing it to you because I had to soak it for a week to remove some stubborn stains; however, she’s a cutie now!!!


I’ll always pick up an old dishcloth made from a flour sack, especially one that has been embellished with some sweet embroidery.


The milk glass salt and pepper shakers were made by Westinghouse and are “go-alongs” with Corning Ware’s Cornflower Blue pattern.  




I’m grateful that I have taken my own advice and “picked while the picking's good,” because keeping the booth replenished this month has kept me busy. But reworking and “fluffing” the booth has given me the opportunity to visit with some of my faithful customers and meet new ones. Thanks to those of you that have shopped with me and those that have taken the time to introduce yourself….It’s been a thrill to visit with you!!!


Happy Holiday Picking!!!


I’m linking to the following parties:

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find and well worth the week long bath. Love the sweet embroidered dish cloth. Yard sales are slowing down around here too:-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apron is so sweet - a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the apron the colors are great...it's just wonderful...happy new week...with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the apron and those blue corning ware shakers. My mom had a few pieces of that when I was a kid. I remember a couple of casserole dishes and the coffee pot. Takes me back to my childhood, for sure!
    Have you been looking at the new online garage sales? You have to be quick, but you can find some things on there sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to go picking again...love those salt and pepper shakers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love that pretty apron! It's beautiful....all of that handwork! I just got a little doll with a crocheted dress and it still looks dingy after a soak and rinse. I guess I need to know some of your secrets. I was about ready to throw it away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The apron turned out all bright and sparkly. Well worth the effort to get her cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute apron!! I am hoping that your sales have been great this year! I'm trying to slow down my shopping since I really do need to downsize! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry the apron is so pretty, and the dish towel. The pickin' around here is already slim. We have already had to resort to auctions, where things are much more pricey. So glad you are still finding some yard sales. Have a Blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love that apron. So I am wondering what did you soak it in...just water or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some sweet finds!I love the dish towel! I agree with your saying,"pick while the pickins good". I have occasional sales so I don't have a booth to replenish but I "pick" in the spring, summer, and Fall and work on projects in the winter.
    Sandy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love the salt and pepper shakers -- love them so much gotta have them!


    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful apron Sherry - you have a good eye! Glad the vintage soak worked for this lovely piece. Hope you and your family had a good holday and continued good times in the christmas season - Melody

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a pretty apron Sherry. One of my favorite things to do during the holidays is to go to an antique store!~Ames

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!