Sunday, November 18, 2012

Octagon Soap

Do you remember Octagon Soap?


I found an old bar at a yard sale this weekend. My Mom never used Octagon Soap but I knew it had been around quite a while. I did a little research and here are some interesting things I found out…..

Even though I found at least one site claiming that Octagon Soap was no longer being made, I easily found it on Amazon for $3-$6 a bar. My bar has a 59 cent price tag so I guess it’s been around a while.


Octagon Soap, made by Colgate-Palmolive, was originally advertised as laundry soap over 100 years ago, but many other uses can be found by doing some quick online research. Here are a few……

Dishwashing
Hand washing
Clothes stain remover
Grease cutter
Cabinet/appliance cleaner
Tile cleaner
Acne remedy
Deer and rabbit garden repellent
Poison ivy/oak remedy

I guess Colgate wasn’t kidding when they claim Octagon to be an “All-Purpose” soap!



Speaking of deer, look who was eating the knock-out roses outside my office window one day this week. Maybe that bar of Octagon might come in handy!!! ……Actually, she visits often and I enjoy her visits but I hope she leaves a few roses on the bush!!!

Please forgive the glare from my window!


Have you ever used Octagon Soap?


I'm linking to the following party:

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

12 comments:

  1. For some reason, when I think of Octagon soap I see it under the kitchen sink. Was it my mother's sink or my grandmother's? Or maybe it's been more recently seeing it under a sink at an estate sale. Thanks for the memory.

    And the deer! How fun to be able to watch her up close like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Octagon soap. I'm that old!

    The deer is precious -- they come into our yard, too. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember Octagon soap! Pretty cool and useful I would say! It's fun to find something old like that.

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember Octagon soap, I should though, what a fun find!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember Octagon soap. My mom used one (can't remember the name), but it sounds like the same thing...good for everything that ails you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if it's like Fels-Naptha soap? It's still around, although a little difficult to find, and I use it to work on stains on my vintage tablecloth and linen finds. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! When I read the title, I actually pictured octagon-shaped soap!!! Maybe I'm working too hard. I did manage to craft and blog this weekend ... definitely moving in the right direction...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We didn't use this soap but we used Ivory soap. I can still remember the scent! Love the photo of your deer! How sweet! Enjoy this special Thanksgiving week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the simple graphics on the packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the picture of the little doe. I got a bar of Octagon soap from my mom's house after she passed away - who knows how long it had been there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I do! Recently, I took a trip with some Friends to Lake George. I took a photo of a bowl full of soaps that are on my Instagram. I love that app. with my cell.
    Thanks for sharing your love of Vintage!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
    xxx Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember it. I can't say that I used it though. I do have the first bar of Kirk's Castile soap I bathed my daughter in, and a few new bars in the drawer. My daughter is 37 years old and that little bar of soap still smells fresh.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!