Thursday, October 11, 2012

“Fall”ing for Chalk Paint

Oh, yes. I’m big into chalkboard paint, but I’ve never tried CHALK paint. I suppose I could have ordered some or driven 35 miles to buy some, but I’ve heard it’s quite expensive.  So…I decided to make my own chalk paint from one of the many online recipes.


I wanted to start with a small project, one that I could just trash if I messed it up. This vintage wooden leaf was an estate sale find from almost two years ago. It’s an impressive 20” in length and certainly needed a little help, so it became my first chalk paint project.

Someone please tell me how these were used!

Since it’s finally autumn, I decided to upgrade it with a shade of orange. I bought a sample of Valspar’s Fire Orange at Lowe's and mixed up my first batch of chalk paint.

I’ve always heard that chalk paint covers in one coat. Maybe it was my recipe or my paintbrush, but it took two coats for me.


After drying, I distressed the leaf and found the distressing part to be much easier with chalk paint than with regular paint. I like the results……..






Do you?


I’m linking to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove

18 comments:

  1. Can you give us your recipe for chalk paint? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your leaf tray turned out great! It looks really cool distresed. I like it paired with the small bottles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job. I would never have attempted doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to paint something using the chalk paint recipe. I even have everything, I just need to do it! Thanks for the inspiration! Your project turned out really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the leaf in orange! Great job! I just might have to try chalk paint myself sometime. What about the wax everyone talks about after chalk paint? Did you think of adding that? Just wondering. I think the leaf makes a great little tray!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely colour! It's perfect. Did you wax it? If you haven't, I strongly recommend you do. You can just use clear Minwax if you don't want to invest in the more expensive chalk paint waxes.

    And no, chalk paint does not always cover in just one coat. I've had to apply two coats on most projects, occasionally three.

    You'll have to share your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I would think it was used as a tray -- maybe even a server? Not only are you creative, you are very adventerous!!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great results on your project, and the leaf tray was the perfect choice to try this with! I hope you'll share your chalk paint recipe!
    Happy Vintage Thingy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, you're no longer a chalk paint virgin:-) Love the little tray and the way it turned out. I usually have to use two coats, but like the fact that I don't have to prime. Great little bottles!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried some chalk paint (CeCe Caldwell's) recently with mixed results. I, too, had always heard that it only took 1 coat to cover--that is a vicious lie! LOL It took me 3 coats on a tiny wooden stool. I was not amused. I did love how easy it was to sand off bumps and brush marks, however--much smoother, easier and nicer than latex paint.

    I'd love to know your recipe. If I ever do that again, I'm making my own, not spending $30+ for one quart of paint that might cover one piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like the results! I two have converted and make my own, can't pop for the real stuff, but love no prepping and the way it sands, your tray is adorable!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a two-coater as well and I love how much less expensive the homemade variety is. Makes me want to paint anything that's sitting still around here! I have to admit I've never found a wax I like better than Annie Sloan's -- I thought it was much easier to work with than any others I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not for sure, but I have seen a similar wooden tray used as a server for a meat broiler shaped the same as the leaf. Kinda of acts like a hot plate holder....we serve fajitas like that here in Texas. Your repurposed use of the tray is perfect with the bottles and the chalk paint turned out very nice. I haven't tried that technique, but am inspired by your project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out great Sherry! I haven't tried chalk paint yet either. And I plan to make my own when I do! Thank you for sharing at TTF. Have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your leaf turned out so cute ~ can you share the recipe for chalk paint I would love to try it ~
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! Great color choice. Thanx for linking up to THT!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!