Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Ready for Fall


Hurricane Isaac brought on the tropical rains last week. Thankfully we were spared the severe flooding, but 8” of rain meant there would be no yard sales. So with no sales to attend, I thought I would head to the garage and tackle one of the many projects awaiting my attention.

A few months ago, I picked up this rusty Nashco tray.


I love Nashco trays. They are heavy and beautifully hand-painted (as was this one), but someone certainly didn’t appreciate its beauty or didn’t care to display its 25th Anniversary congratulations.


But I knew exactly how it should be repurposed ….. It would make a wonderful chalkboard/magnetboard. I sanded and taped off the center for chalkboard paint, because I didn't want to paint the lacy silver edge.


For that little extra touch, I wanted to created a “ledge” for a piece of chalk. I raided my hubby’s toolbox and found an old stainless steel cup pull. I turned it over and attached it to the bottom of the tray by screwing it through the lacy edge. I also attached a hook on the back for hanging.




And here she is! …….



The lacy edge is perfect for adding seasonal touches!

I’m so Ready for Fall!
How about you?


I’m linking to the following parties:

Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
You're Gonna Love It at Kathe with an E


17 comments:

  1. That poor tray was looking a bit sad when you found it, Sherry. But you have transformed it into a thing of beauty! What a great idea to add the chalk ledge! And I love the idea that it's magnetized too. Tres chic:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I am ready for fall, but apparently the weather is not...still extremely hot and muggy here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you, this tray now looks GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing it at my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Sherry. The tray looks like it was so pretty at one time and you gave it the new life it deserved. What a clever idea to attach the drawer pull on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry I really love this tray! Are you keeping it? What a fun piece you made out of a very worn out tray! I'm so glad Isaac spared you the worst of it. Maybe this weekend will be much better! Hugs, LInda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see old trays at the thrift store but I didn't think about the chalk paint! This is a great idea. I'm glad you are doing OK after the storm and flooding. Take care! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great idea, as always. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has a great new life and is ready for another 25 years of service! Great for back to school or menu announcements any time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so hard to find one of those trays in mint condition! What a great idea! I am always forgetting to use chalk paint!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear things with Isaac turned out ok for you, except for the 'no yard sales' part. ;-0 I'm thinking about skipping fall this year and going straight to Christmas so maybe I'll at least feel prepared for the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic re-purpose for that gorgeous tray!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again - you have out done yourself! Great idea. And, yes, I am so ready for Fall.


    deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no - the chalk tray is ingenious. I can't believe I never thought of it. New project in the offing! Thanks, the tray is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. good job and looks good also I have one setting back of my stove mine doesn't say anything right now had to wash it off LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherry, that's a great use of the tray. Useful and adorable! Thanks for stopping over at Quirky Vistas and leaving me your sweet comment!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your chalkboard is perfect and love that you used a tray! Great idea adding the little chalk holder!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!