Monday, September 17, 2012

Project: Butterfly Tray

My favorite magazine is Country Living. Did you know that the editor is from Mississippi? The latest edition features fall decorating ideas including these pumpkins adored with butterflies.


I guess that picture must have been in the back of my mind when I found this huge sheet of stick-on butterflies at a local salvage store. It gave me an idea for a totally different project…no pumpkins necessary.



I had found this old pine tray a few weeks ago. It had several old peeling decals on it and I had already scraped and sanded the bottom but had not decided how to re-do it. A butterfly was my answer! The “wood-tone” design of the butterflies reminded me of the tray.


I painted only the bottom of the tray (for contrast), leaving the edges alone. I adhered the largest butterfly that would fit the tray and glued jute twine along the inside edge to finish it off.





Maybe I should find a pumpkin for those other butterflies!
  

I’m linking to the following parties:

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Knick of Time Tuesday at Knick of Time

14 comments:

  1. Sherry that tray looks amazing! Love butterflies and yes find a pumpkin for the others!! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the perfect size butterfly for this tray. I shopped at the thrift store this morning....looking for trays to put shells in. I found a wicker one and it is filled with shells already! Of course there were 2 trays and I only bought one. I guess that means another trip! heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect, and so very clever of you. I'm sure you'll find the perfect pumpkin for the other butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! The butterflie are perfect on their own!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. That reminds me of the time I learned to do decoupage for 4-H. It was so much fun. I think I made a plaque for my mother and she kept it for years.

    I think that tray is lovely!I don't use a coffee table, we use a tray on an ottoman. This would look great on one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry - What a perfect tray! The butterfly looks great and looks like it was just made for that tray. By all means, get some pumpkins and use the rest of them.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great find...your ahead of your time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just received my Magazine today haven't sat down and looked it over yet...Your tray looks wonderful...with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. That turned out really well! Don't you love it when things come together so perfectly?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherry I just love how your tray turned out. I love butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That turned out wonderfully. I love old trays being brought back to life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea and it turned out so pretty...I think you could put those little wings on just about anything. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the tray much better than the butterfly pumpkins. It should be in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!