Thursday, July 26, 2012

“Weigh” Cool



Have you ever bought a vintage item just because you had never seen one before and your “gut” told you should? Well, that happened to me last week. Mom and I were shopping at an estate sale and I found this very unusual scale.


I had to have it if only just to research it.



After doing that research, I found out that it’s a 1000g bilateral letter (postal) scale manufactured by Jakob Maul of Germany.


The 2-sided scale features a 250g scale below a 1000g scale. If an object weighs less than 250g (like this aluminum funnel), both scales present the same weight …. The increments on the bottom scale are more detailed.


If an object weighs more than 250g (like this Pyrex mug), only the upper scale can be read.


Even if I hadn’t learned all the technical things about the scale,
I still think it looks “weigh” cool!


I’m linking to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove

15 comments:

  1. so unusual - good find

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so neat! What a great find and one you can't pass up! You're a smart shopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry I love it when you find cool stuff and share it with us! This is really unusual and interesting! Weigh Cool indeed! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one interesting scale. I have NEVER SEEN ONE JUST LIKE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cool scale. Had not seen one like it before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weigh cool indeed! Wow, this is another beauty that I would have to fight you for, lol. I've never seen anything quite like it before...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen one of those either and I definitely buy things just because they seem cool! I like that you find out about the items you find. Happy hunting!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I collect scales and love the form and function of them. Are you going to keep it?

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weight cool is right! Love it! Thanks for sharing it at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely weigh cool! I've never run across one before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome scale! And a fun find Sherry! I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Thank you for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have purchased many an item because it looked cool so I'm right there with you! I would have bought that scale, too. It's beautiful! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes this is weigh cool. Great score. I would have snatched it up too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Weigh too cool is right, oh scales are so hot now and this is a beauty!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!