Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Tisket, A Tasket....


A Vintage Wicker Basket!



I read somewhere that this is called a funeral basket. That sounds so sad, but I was certainly not sad when I found this 28" tall-handled basket. I love the "chippiness" and patina of its original green paint though I'm sure some of you would grab the nearest can of white spray paint.




I wanted to take some pictures of the basket filled with colorful summer flowers, so I headed to Mom's house. She has a green thumb! Unfortunately she didn't have a pot of flowers small enough to fit inside the basket.....that is, except for a poinsettia! Yep....Mom is bringing back a poinsettia that I gave her at Christmas. I told you she has a green thumb!




To help you imagine how it would look filled with flowers, here's the basket sitting beside a pot of Mom's colorful petunias.



Not sad.......AT ALL!!!


I'll be taking my basket to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground


18 comments:

  1. I confess, wicker wigs me out. It's one collectible I can't collect. Your basket is pretty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite patina is green. Can not pass something up with old green chippy paint! Looks very cheerful

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beauty, chippy paint and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember these-they were used at funerals. My grandmother had several of these, wish I had them now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great basket...such a good size! I hope you have a good day today. It looks like we'll have another sunshiny day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great baskets and the flowers look beautiful. Great job and isea to use them in a way that brings them back to a beauty.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. A basket like this has many uses. I like the way you are using it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have two different size Funeral baskets Sherry. And one is marked Harry and David on the bottom. I found them in a thrift store. They are nice baskets for larger arrangements.I usually put large arrangements of greenery in mine and set them here and there in corners. Those pink flowers really pop next to the basket too!Have a happy fourth of July week!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen those funeral baskets on the blogs and think they are super looking. Love the chippy green and your Mom's flowers! Stay cool. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore you funeral basket filled with flowers! It's so pretty!

    Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, these are so popular, nope not sad at all. Even I wouldn't paint this white, and I paint everything white! I love the chippy on this! Oh, how I wish I had Mom's green thumb!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your basket, Sherry! You can use it all year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That beautiful basket is as adorabel as your blog.

    Smiles,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it just the way it is with the beautiful patina. What a fabulous find Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing sad about this basket -- your mom is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love this basket! And your plants look perfect in it. This was a wonderful find. Thank you for sharing at TTF and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beauty supplies

    Great find with the basket. Its a treasure indeed. You'll have a lot of creative ideas to do with this basket.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!