Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Rare Recommendation


I like "old school" things (betcha woulda never guessed that!) but we do live in the 21st century and occasionally I find something "new-fangled" that I like, especially if it helps me take care of my "old-fangled" treasures. That was the case when I happened upon this very handy Dish Drying Mat at Bed, Bath & Beyond.


When I get home from a productive treasure-hunt, I usually have several pieces of kitchen glassware or china that need a good bath. A dishwasher is very harsh on vintage pieces like colored Pyrex and jelly glasses with printed graphics so I prefer to hand-wash. After washing, I would place them to dry on a dishtowel laid on the kitchen counter.


I've discovered that the Drying Mat works much better than a dishtowel. It soaks up the water so that the counter doesn't get as wet and it also cushions the glassware. The mat drys quickly after use and can even be machine washed if soiled. Mats are available in several sizes and all cost under $10.


By the way, this is a non-solicited recommendation. I really like this product and, in case you haven't seen or used one, I thought you might like a little help in taking care of your own vintage glassware.

Cherish your treasures!



14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thumbs up on this one Sherry;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherry,
    Oh Yes, I would love to pic up a few of these to use. I always have vintage goodies drying with a puddle under the rack...
    Big Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry I bought one of these last fall from BB&B too! I also love it. It's perfect for just what you suggested and also for other dishes I don't put in the dishwasher.

    I would never have thought to blog about that and it is a product idea very useful to pass along to others.

    xo Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got one of these mats for Sara last Christmas and she loves it. Now why didn't I get one for myself? I think I'll do that this week! Thanks for the reminder about how great these are. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of these and I love it!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this drying mat, too. I was lucky, I found mine at a thrift store, brand new for .99 cents. Great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Yeah....here you and I go again with 'Same Stuff' likeables right down to the harvest pattern glasses I see draining on the mat. I have one of those and you are so right....they are great...EZ to store, too. My glasses are the carnival blue and I sure do like the green pyrex bowl. Great finds and super recommedation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of these mats and its wonderful, I love mine, use it all the time :) Hope you have a happy Tuesday!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I need one of these to use by my sink. I don't have a dish drainer. I like to put everything in the dishwasher but there are always a couple of things to hand wash. I'll look for one! What a great idea! Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recommendation! I might just have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I received a drying mat as a Christmas gift -- the giver told me she had no idea what to give me, and I have told her many times she could not have chosn a nicer gift! I would never put my vintage treasures in the dishwasher.

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic tip Sherry! We have miles of dishes on the counter at times and this...well, this will make life much easier :) Thanks for sharring!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see how this would be an asset when washing and drying all those vintage finds. I used to do that a lot but am mainly house bound now with back problems. Glad to see someone else out 'on the trail' enjoying the search.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is quite a find, I usually have a totally soaked towel, thank you for the tip

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!