Thursday, April 5, 2012

Grab Your Pic-i-nic Basket!

It’s Spring!
Time to pack a light lunch and head to the park to enjoy the warm weather!


But Beware!
There’s a sneaky, but lovable, bear out there that would love to steal your
"pic-i-nic basket"!

Yogi Bear

Ranger Smith tries his best to protect your lunch, but Yogi is
“smarter than the average bear”
and is most persistent in his lunch-stealing activities!

Ranger Smith


Yogi’s sidekick, Boo Boo Bear, tries to warn Yogi that Ranger Smith will be watching.

Yogi and Boo Boo

Cindy Bear, Yogi’s girlfriend, does not approve of Yogi’s antics and tells him so!

Cindy and Yogi

While you’re at the park, you might run into a few more of Yogi’s fellow park inhabitants.

“Heavens to Murgatroyd,” it’s Snagglepuss, the pink mountain lion.
Snap his picture quickly before he “exits stage left.”

Snagglepuss

Look, there’s Yakky Doodle. He best be very careful today because his friend, Chopper the Bulldog, isn’t around to rescue him from Fibber Fox and Alfy Gator who think he would make a nice snack!

Fibber Fox, Yakky Doodle and Alfy Gator


I found all of these delightful Marx plastic figures in an old train case last year. They are all about 2” tall. I don’t know if they were part of a Yogi Bear play set or were sold individually. Whatever the case, they were a fun find and made me “happier than the average rummager”!!!


Did you know that Yogi Bear actually got his start as a character on the Huckleberry Hound Show in 1958?

He was able to secure his own spin-off series in 1961
and starred in 33 episodes.


I’m linking to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Inspiration Friday at At the Picket Fence


18 comments:

  1. Hi There:-)

    I am absolutely loving your Yogi Bear figurines! I am a recent follower of your blog and am dying to know who makes the little kissing cowboy and cowgirl in your banner? I am on a mission to locate my own set. I am in love with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little kissing cowboy and cowgirl are actually vintage Japan salt and pepper shakers. They belonged to my hubby's grandmother. I just love them and have never seen another set. I hope you'll be lucky and find a set one day!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love those! I wonder if they were part of a birthday cake decorating set? (Thinking that because of the stands) Whatever they are I am hiding my pic-a-nic basket for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had a run-in with Yogi. I am sure he would be a pleasure to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so darn cute. They sure do bring back a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't thought of these characters in years...but you sure brought back some sweet memories! How exciting these old cartoons were...and the comic books! Enjoy the holiday weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun find! Yogi Bear always made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember those well! I have LOTS and LOTS of them still. They were offered on boxes of "I THINK IT WAS JELLO". You sent in the boxtops and NOT SURE if they were FREE or 25cents BUT we got 3 at a time! MAYBE the 25cents was postage... YES, I go back to the days when YOGI and Huckleberry were together, hehe!!! "I liked YOGI and BOO BOO best"!!!
    Happy Easter Sherry,
    Big Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use to watch Yogi bear with my kids , loved it so much better than cartoons on today

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun find! Just looking at them brings back all kinds of happy childhood memories! Thank you for sharing with us at TTF. I hope you and your family have a happy and blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too cute -- love your creativity -- :)!!!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post! Yogi Bear was one of my absolute favorite cartoons growing up so this post brought back lots of great memories and many giggles. I especially love the Ranger figurine. That face! And how he is running - it's just too much :) What a great find. I would have been "happier than the average rummager too"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my, goodness! I just loved this post. I had to share it with my husband who is a huge fan of all these characters (and many more). He had all these figures as a child. These characters still bring us warm smiles. Thanks for sharing your serendipitous train case find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that was wonderful cartoon. I grew up watching it! I call my dog "Baby" my Boo Boo. Most people these days would think I was calling her a mistake but I actually mean she's my little best friend. My Boo Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was soo fun! I use to love those cartoons!! Happy Easter!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom used to use the phrase from Heavens to Murgatroyd when I was growing up. And I was wondering where that phrase came from the other day. My husband looked it up on the internet and lo and behold, that's where! What a coincidence! Have a blessed Easter! laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a few of those around here somewhere as well. But don't tell my sister - they were hers! Donna may be right. I know they came several together and we were ALWAYS saving box tops back then. It could have been Jello or a Big G cereal.
    I will date it around the mid 60s.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!