Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Getting the "Nod"!

Earlier this month I introduced you to a tiny set of Yogi Bear cartoon characters that I had found in an old train case; but there was one other tiny character in that old piece of luggage and it’s time to give him a nod!


Donald Duck was hiding there, too, and he’s nodding “YES” to say that it’s time for him to get a little attention.


Just like Yogi and his friends, the Donald Duck nodder is about 2” tall. He is made of  plastic and is painted with primary colors. His markings include “Walt Disney Production” in a small circle on his side…..the other side says “Made in Hong Kong.”


Donald Duck is much like the bobblehead figures of today with his head bobbing/nodding up and down. Instead of being a toy or collectible figure, I think Donald was probably marketed as a birthday cake topper along with his buddies Mickey Mouse and Goofy.


As you can see, I photographed Donald with a couple of my Big Little Books in which he was featured. You can read more about Big Little Books in this post, if you’re interested.



I want to end this post by saying a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my favorite junkin’ partner, my Mom. She is celebrating her 86th birthday this week. I think Donald Duck would be the perfect topper for her cake……giving her the “nod” for showing us how to stay active and happy every day.


I’m linking to the following parties:

Share the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage Style
Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove


15 comments:

  1. "Happy Happy Birthday to your sweet Mom"! My Mom will be 87 next month. We used to call our tag sale adventures "TAG-SAILING"!!!
    Love little Donald. I used to have those too. It wasn't a cake topper. I actually think these were sold as cute little toys. There were also WALKERS that you put on the table and a string with a weight hung OFF the table would pull them to walk. I remember having PLUTO! It was about this size too...
    Have a FUN WEEK,
    Hugs to you and Your Birthday Girl!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your Mom. Give her some extra birthday hugs from me and bake her a cake! Love this cute bobber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure! My older brother had some that looked like that that walked - waddled actually. Love seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your mom! I think Donald on top of her cake would make her smile and maybe laugh out loud. He is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now isn't he adorable?! You really found some great little friends in that train case.

    Happy Birthday to your Mom! Love to hear about older people living life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh tell your Mom Happy Birthday!! You are so blessed to have her to go with you shopping. My mom was my best friend and I never went shopping without her. She is the same age as your mom and she had a cellouid Donald Duck and a Micky mouse washing machine, I still have them. What a great find for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for bringing sweet Donald out of hibernation.
    A huge Happy Birthday wish for your mom! Hope her day is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too cute -- and wishing your wonderful mom the best birthday ever! She inspires so many!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy B'day to your Mom! That Donald looks like ones in the early 60's, when I was little, they'd sell em at the movie theater when a Disney pic was there or at the carnivals where you'd win one.
    Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your mom! What a cute Donald!! I love him! Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's sweet! I went to look at your Yogi characters, what a neat find!

    Hope your thrifting partner has a lovely birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute nodder! A big "Happy Birthday!" to mom. Bless her heart. My mom always liked the little wind-up toys that walked.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tell your sweet Mom Happy Birthday from me! I love the Donald...duck that is!! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet little nodder! Love your vintage Donald Duck.
    Happy Birthday to your Mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great find and how sweet that you love to go junkin' with your mom. Happy Birthday to her! Thanks so much for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage Style.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!