Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vintage Egg Cups



Displaying decorative eggs in wire baskets and mixing bowls is very popular right now.



But how about displaying your eggs in small containers uniquely made for them……..egg cups! Amass several of these little jewels and you have a collection that is not only practical but doesn’t take up a lot of display territory.

The following vintage egg cups are part of a small collection that I bought last year. I’ve sold several pieces of the collection already and I thought I would show some of the others to you before putting them in my booth for Easter.

There’s a Delft egg cup from Holland.......



Cups with painted faces from Japan.......



Airline and railroad egg cups are cross collectibles......



Roosters adorn double egg cups from Japan......



Egg cups are made in materials other than ceramic. These pewter cups are from Sweden.....



Pastel stripes adorn these two cups marked Chantilly.......



A group of miscellaneous egg cups include a wooden one with ceramic basket weave liner, a tall stemmed milk glass cup and the small one in front is marked Occupied Japan.



They can come in sets like these elegant cobalt blue/white egg cups from Germany.



Major kitchenware manufacturers sold egg cups. The milk glass cup was made by Hazel-Atlas, the blue chalaine cup is by McKee Glass…. Both circa 1930s.



But my favorite (because it’s so cute) is the chick egg cup in Opalex glass from France....



If you would like to know more about egg cups, click here for a short history at Replacements.com. If you do a search at Replacements or Ebay, you’ll find hundreds of designs to choose from. They range in price from a few dollars for a simple glass cup to hundreds for a popular china pattern like vintage Fiesta.

Do you have any egg cups?


I’m linking to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Newbie Party Reunion at Debbiedoo’s
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground

28 comments:

  1. I'm loving your vintage egg cups, they're so cute and adorable, specially the ones with a face on them. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so sweet. I think my favorites are the ones with the faces and of course, the little chick. I don't remember ever having any of these. Something to keep my eyes open for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love egg cups and have a collection of them myself. I should get them out and display them! I love that blue chalaine cup and the cute chick cup also. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eggs and basket makes for some very pretty Easter sights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore egg cups! We were looking for some awhile back because my husband wanted some to actually use. And do you think we could find any fun vintage ones anywhere? No! These are all great - and I didn't even think to use them for Easter decorating. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to find someone with the same obsession with egg cups.

    Visiting from the wonderful Debbie's. C:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the milk glass egg cups. I do have a few...I should get them out of the cabinet and find some eggs to put in them. This is a sweet idea! Enjoy your day...I'm making chicks...coming soon! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool egg cup collection....I like 'em all but am partial to the blue one that looks like milkglass. i have a set of chicken ones i just love. Boy, the English are big on egg cups, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, what a great collection of egg cups. I just have a few and I always put them out this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your collection! I have just one pair...floral. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I especially love those face egg cups! Too cute!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are not going to believe this...but my FIL just gave me two of those duck ones, EXACTLY, how funny is that? I love them too. Thanks so much Sherry for joining in on the reunion party, you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your egg cups. I especially like the pink and blue one and the ones with the pastel stripes. How wonderful and fun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a great collection of pretty and interesting egg cups.
    Thanks for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have any egg cups...I fancy the little white chick egg cup the most although the others are cute too. My daughter and I blew out the egg portion and decorated the eggs up with decorative trims and and put them in a glass Easter basket. I got more compliments on those eggs. I think I donated them years ago. Now I might make some more because I'm getting in the mood. I like the musical note eggs! I did a little Thrift store hopping today. I have to post some pics later.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love egg cups and love using them all at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The egg cups with the faces are my favorite. You have such a nice collection.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do have an egg basket, but no egg cups - - - perhaps that is a little something I can add to my "favorites" collection soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great egg cup collection. I love the one from Delft and the chick, so cute! Thanks for sharing, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a secret love for egg cups and no idea why. You have some of the best ever -- those little painted faces and the milk glass one -- swooning!! Can you imagine taking a flight on an airline that uses/used egg cups? So civilized!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are so sweet! Are you selling all or keeping a few favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great collection..I love the japan ones!! cute crochet egg!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow...what a collection. I started collecting double egg cups last year. I love your cobalt blue and white from Germany. So very beautiful! Visiting from the reunion!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love them all -- especially the striped ones!!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sherry,
    I especially love egg cups. They would be a nice thing to collect(not taking up much room). AND I'm so surprised you don't see LOTS MORE new ones out there in the stores(NOT THAT I WOULD BUY NEW)... I'm with you, My FAVORITE is your last one with all it's character...So Happy you spotted YOUR green sherberts over in My Land of Blog...They are my favorites AND I call them "Sherry's Sherberts"...

    Big Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all of these! Very cute!! Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG! You have a fantastic collection of egg cups! I have such a hard time finding vintage ones. I only have 3 I think. I love those delft blue ones! Thank you for sharing with us at last weeks TTF party! have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't have any egg cups but now I want some!I love the chicken one too and the blue and white of course.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!