Monday, February 27, 2012

The Canister Caper

It was yet another weekend of zero yard sales, so I decided to tackle a long-overdue project. Last June I published a post about Vintage Canisters. In that post I showed you a set of 1960s-era canisters….


What I didn’t show you was the damage to one of the lids…..



I actually bought this set way back in 2010 and Plan A was to find a replacement knob during my many yard sale hunts; however, I’ve been unable to find one. So moving on to Plan B, I decided to replace all the knobs and bought wooden knobs to replace the original plastic ones.

I mixed orange and red craft paint to match the original knob color.


After applying several coats of paint to the knobs, I finished with a spray of matte finish sealer.


I glued and screwed the knobs onto the lids, placed the lids on the canisters and was ready to call the project complete until I noticed that there was the very faint shadow of a flower decal on each canister. My semi-perfectionist nature wouldn’t allow me to leave well enough alone and I just had to cover up those old decals.

If you’ve been following me for a while, you can guess what’s coming next! Yes, out came the chalkboard paint. I taped off a rectangle where the decals had been…..If you look really, really close, you can see the shadow of those old flower decals.



Three coats of chalkboard paint and …………


Or..........................



And if I’m not mistaken, reddish-orange is “IN” this year!!!




I’m linking to the following parties:

Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Magpie Monday at Me and My Shadow
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Share the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage Style
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Friday Link Up Party at Redoux

23 comments:

  1. I think Plan B is really working for you! These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a great creative job you did on the canister set...they look wonderful...I am a new follower and I can't wait to see more neat things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, you did such a great job with these! They're vintage, yet modern...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They went from blah...to adorable!! How cute. and yes orange/nectarine is the "in' color this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! They're back in style now! I still haven't tried the chalkboard paint but I love the results! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. These turned out so cute! and yes I've heard this orange color is Very In this year! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these Sherry. How very clever of you to use chalkboard paint to pretty them up and give them so much character. You did a great job on those replacement handles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever way to fix the flaws on those great canisters! Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great thinking! I have been collecting quite a few vintage canisters lately, they are oh so hot right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I love the way your printed the names on them. So retro!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat idea, I don't think I would ever have thought of that. They turned out so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's such a cool idea with the chalkboard paint. I love the way it came together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I deem it perfect!! Great job, most people would not be a ble to figure it out.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well you know how much I love chalkboards, so this is right up my alley! How fun! And you are right, this color IS making a big comeback! I wonder if avocado green or harvest gold will show up one of these days??

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a BRILLIANT makeover!

    It would have been such a shame for those jars to be thrown out just because of one missing knob.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great makeover! They turned out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, Sherry -- you are so creative!!! What a great idea. I would have just shown "as is". thanks!!!!!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. These turned out really cute! Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sherry, these are SO cute! If they aren't already sold they will be by the weekend!! You are very creative. Yes, color of the year...Tangerine Tango. I would say we could call your canisters just that! :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is the coolest thing i've seen today. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage Style!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute, such a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!