Monday, December 5, 2011

Cookbooks and Jelly Glasses



I’ve had so many ladies tell me recently that they read cookbooks like they read novels. Do you? My mom is one of them! I’m admitting right now that I didn’t get that gene!!!

I do, however, love to find cookbooks for my “read-it-like-it’s-a-novel” cookbook-buyers and even those that actually use the recipes for their intended purpose! This weekend I found several to add to the booth. Of course, I have to let Mom read them first!




I bought this unusual cookbook because it has recipes as well as blanks for writing in your own recipes.


My guess is that this one would not “read” as well as the others, but maybe it’s perfect for the budding cookbook author!!!



My customers also love jelly glasses. I know that because they sell quickly after putting them in the booth. I found this set of four colorful glasses this weekend.


The Twelve Days of Christmas Cookbook is the perfect cookbook to read this time of the year while drinking sweet tea (or egg nog) from one of them!!!



But my favorite find…..the one that made me jump for joy……was this jelly glass featuring donkeys jumping over a fence.


I actually prefer to read Heloise’s Hints instead of cookbooks.


I think the jumping-donkeys jelly glass is the perfect accompaniment for reading her hints about how to take care of your “killer” girdle...obviously very important in this 1970 edition.

I say the best suggestion is to just “kill your girdle.”  That’s something to jump for!!!!



I’m linking to the following parties:

Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Magpie Monday at Me and My Shadow
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm

21 comments:

  1. I also read cookbooks (as well as knitting patterns) like novels. I specially like the old 'community' fundraising books, the equivalent of great granma's written recipies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive me, but what are jelly glasses? They really are lovely as are your recipe books x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jelly/jam was once sold in colorful glasses/tumblers. Once the jelly was gone, you had a useful tumbler. Buy more jelly....collect a set of tumblers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put a jelly glass in my shop! Fred Flintstone! But, I love your donkey ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of 'the spice of wife' book!

    I never realised that's why you called them jelly glasses. It tends to be mustard over here that comes in decorated glasses - I'd rather have jam/jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rather entertain myself by reading Heloise's hints. I'm sure she has some good hints, but it's probably worth a lot of good laughs too:-) Love those jelly glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those donkey glasses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am one of those people that takes a cookbook to bed for nightime reading!LOL!I think I have that twelve days of christmas ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mom is also a 'read a cookbook like a novel' lady. Me, not so much, but I do like cookbooks. Now I don't cook enough to really use them much. I collect vintage cookbooks for the photos! LOL. Love the jelly glasses and the donkey one is a hoot. Hope you are having a great week. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. The jelly glasses are really cute! I love old cookbooks, too and just found an old Betty Crocker. It was fun to read some of the hostess tips! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovin' those glasses!

    I would read cookbooks like novels, but the steamy parts aren't quite the same. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the donkey glass! I read and collect cookbooks! Some of my favorites are vintage ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So funny about the girdle tip! Some of the old cookbooks have unusual recipes or advice, too! That always makes for fun reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cook books with pictures, I sell a lot of the ones printed by church and women's groups. Love jelly jars, they are getting harder to find though

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read cookbooks like I read design magazines - look at the pictures and sigh because I'll never get anything to look like that! Love the donkey glass but not as much as the Heloise book - Heloise is one of my heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL, Mom Walds, I'm with her! I can't stand cookbooks, recipes or cooking. I do like to eat however.

    Jelly glasses are so quaint. Love them. Do you also remember mustard glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love cookbooks -- even though I don't cook very much! The only jelly glasses I see now are the ones that are Maason jars with handles -- can't remember the brand name of the jelly. But, we always had jelly glasses that we used.

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how fun, jelly glasses and cook books. Nice collection. I like the donkey glasses, that would be fitting with my crew at home! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey I love your jelly glasses. Really takes you back, doesn't it? Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am some really cool vintage cookbooks from my mom and am using some of the Christmas cookie recipes. Do you decorate for Christmas with vintage also?

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa now you take me back! I still love those read-it-like-it's-a-novel cookbooks. My sister and I have a ton of them. Church cookbooks, Woman's Club cookbook's, Presto, Kraft, you name it. We love them. And those jelly glasses! We drank from them at our grandmother's. Each girl had her own glass and each one was different too! That reminds me ...Do you remember the EAPC glassware that came free in a box of Oatmeal? Or the striped bath towels that came free in a box of laundry soap? ~Ames

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!