Thursday, November 10, 2011

Good Timing!

The wonderful staff at Southern Antique Mall is really good about letting us dealers know when a customer asks for a specific item. They know that we just might have it stashed in a box somewhere waiting to price and display it.


In September, a frequent customer left word that she was looking for Nancy Drew books. I had several of the popular mystery books, so I priced all I had and put them in my booth. As luck would have it, the October issue of Country Living came out only a few days later.


It contained a feature about Nancy Drew books and how to determine their value.


Every Nancy Drew book in my booth sold within the week. Thank you, Country Living! Good timing!!! Sadly, though, I don’t think the timing was good for the customer that originally asked for them as the books sold before she returned.

On a happier note……Mom and I went to an estate sale last weekend. The estate sale company had posted information on EstateSales.net and they showed both Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries in the photos. I planned to get some of both, but my timing was off and another shopper beat me to the Hardy Boys books. There must have been over 30 of them. I did, however, replenish my stock of Nancy Drew books, so if you were the customer that requested them….check my booth again.




After boxing up the Nancy Drew books, I looked through the other books on the shelves. Yea!!!  The other shopper had missed one of the Hardy Boys books, but I can understand why!


Have you ever seen a Hardy Boys book with 3 mysteries in one? Me, either! It contains the first three Hardy Boys stories in one book and it’s entitled, “Meet The Hardy Boys.”


Timing paid off after all!
In a few days, I’ll show you some of the other things we found.


Have you “timed it right” and scored a treasure?


I’m linking to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove

15 comments:

  1. I always hope to score a treasure and if I find one then I figure it was meant to be. I have some old Nancy Drew books somewhere...guess I should dig them out. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I timed it just right when I purchased all the corning ware awhile back. Then again, with the cookbooks at Open House!

    I would love to know what happened to my Nancy Drew Collection!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all of those books as a kid and made my kids read them too - what great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of childrens books one day in a quiet afternoon all of them were cataloged and counted and put in a computer file. Last count there are 369 in two book shelves including nancy drew and others in that era of early reader. Some day I will sell them all, not sure when imagine I have to ask our 'children first' since they both have said, "let us look at them first".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a favorite childrens book of my MOM's when she was very young

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these are great books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure brought back memories! I loved The Secret in the Old Attic. I must have those books somewhere in my house...I don't think I would ever toss them aside...hmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that in Country Living. I used to love Nancy. And the Hardy Boys, but they were more form the TV series with Shaun Cassidy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had been looking for years for Honey Bunch books. One day I was walking into my local thrift as the book stocker was adding 6 of my prized volumes to the shelf.
    I even have my suspicions that they were my very own prized books that had been lost in a move 10 years earlier. Could that be possible?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome finds! I read the C.L. magazine and thought it was cool to see these books featured. I always love them and have been slowly collecting them for the princess. What perfect timing for you! Don't ya just love when everythng falls into place just perfectly! And BTW, I missed you last week! Thank you for sharing with us at TTF and have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is amazing how quickly something can become a hot item!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always been a big Nancy Drew fan. I actually own a complete set, but they're newer so the only value is the fact that I love them.

    I'm your newest follower. Please stop by and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how I missed this article. I'm keeping my eyes open and adding these to my list. It doesn't take long for the word to get out when a popular magazine does a feature.
    I love being the early bird catching the worm at a good vintage yard sale!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw that article in the magazine and thought I need to dig out the copies of the Nancy Drew books I found at a thrift store. Now that I have a booth I need to keep up on these things :)
    I timed it right this week at a thrift store for vintage Shiny Brite ornaments. They were just putting all the ornaments out and I scored several boxes of Shiny Brites (for 25 cents apiece!)
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really had good timing in grabbing up the Nancy Drew books. Good for you! Thank you for sharing this at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!