Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Vacation Highlights


I know my participation in Blogland has been sporadic over the last week or so, but Mr. B2V and I have been travelling and internet access was great one day and totally absent the next. Now that I'm home, I hope to get back to my normal blogging routine!

* * * * *

Our vacation took us into the mountains of North Carolina and I was thrilled to meet the one and only, sweet and charming, Diane of Welcome to Lavender Dreams.

That's sweet Diane on the left!
Diane's blog is always positive and fun and Diane is no different. She’s truly a sweetheart and if you haven't visited her blog, do it soon. She always has the best stories and pictures of her travels around North Carolina and Florida. Her posts are better than looking through a travel magazine. As bloggers always do, we exchanged gifts and she gave me the most wonderful-smelling soaps made by a local NC craftswoman.

Notice the lavender soap!!!

Thanks, Diane!
It was such fun to meet you!!!

* * * * *

We spent the next few days in the Asheville area where we saw beautiful scenes like these at the Grove Park Inn.







* * * * *

We then traveled west to Crossville, TN where we started our journey south along the World’s Longest Yard Sale. It was hot and sticky, but we survived the trek. This was our third trip to the WLYS and unfortunately the most grueling. I think the heat made it especially difficult.

I’m always asked what it’s like to travel the Longest Yard Sale. Here are a few snapshots to show you what it's like. It really depends on where you start the WLYS, but as you travel Hwy 127, you’ll see views like this....


Then way up ahead (see on the right) you’ll see tents.



When you get closer, this is what you'll see......


You’ll notice all the “stuff” and you’ll have to decide if it’s worthy of a stop. If so, you’ll find a place to park (this can be difficult at times) and you’ll walk and shop. Hopefully you’ll find some treasures…..often you won’t!

Then you’ll drive on and see more of the countryside…


Keep driving and you'll see this.........



With more just across the road.....


You’ll decide to stop...…or not!

The drive, look, stop, shop…..drive, look, don’t stop….drive, look, etc. goes on for several hundred miles.

It’s exciting when you find some treasures, it’s frustrating when you find nothing! It’s tiring either way!!!  So tiring, that I haven’t even unpacked all of the things I bought. However, here’s a sneak peek at a just a few of my finds….


I’ll show you more goodies in a couple of days!!!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. So glad you got to meet another blogger friend! I love how you describe the WLYS....drive,look, stop or don't stop, shop and so on....so true. As you know I found this year a tough one also. I think the heat was a lot of it. Look forward to seeing more of your finds.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a couple of cuties, aren't we? heehee! It was GREAT to meet you and have a little visit! You took some great photos at the Grove Park Inn! That's a beautiful place to stay! And I can't wait to see what treasures you found on your trip! My post...with more photos of US will be up tomorrow! Thanks for the sweet words! Charming...what a sweet thing to say! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I always like to hear stories and see pictures of blogging friends meeting up. Diane is a sweetheart and I really enjoy her blog. I'd love to travel teh WLYS some day. I can imagine that the "in and out" and the parking would get really tiring. Looking forward to seeing all your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great trip, Sherry! Except for the heat and humidity! How wonderful that you got to meet a fellow blogger. I love North Carolina, Asheville is wonderful! Did you make it to the town of Black Mountain? It is the most adorable little town! I always wondered what the WLYS was like. Sounds like it is hit or miss! Can't wait to see more of your treasures and hear all about your adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love to meet fellow bloggers. I have always wanted to go to the WLYS, but why oh why does it have to be in the hottest part of summer? I don't think I could stand it,no matter what treasures await.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great trip and how fun to meet Diane. Maybe someday we will meet...wouldn't that be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some beautiful sights! Unpack and post!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. The heat all over has really taken the fun out of the summer this last month. Glad you got to go but wish it had been a little cooler and a lot less effort. Makes ebay look good on days like that.
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun the two of you got to meet! And I'm really wishing I could have shopped WLYS ... someday. :-)

    PS Asheville NC is one of my favorite places. Did you make it to the Biltmore Estate?

    ReplyDelete
  10. One day I hope to take the 127 sale outside of KY - we do it every year here and it's a hoot - looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in Kentucky & have always wanted to go to the Worlds Longest Yard Sale! I'm a Yard Sale queen and it sounds like such fun to me. I can't wait to see what all you scored :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!