Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My, Oh, My!

A few weeks ago, I showed you these small 1970s wooden plaques that I bought for a quarter each.


Why did I buy them? I sure didn’t need another project, but I thought maybe I could figure out something interesting to do with them. I even asked all of you for ideas.

Jane of Mamie Jane’s, the queen of repurposing, sparked my creative juices when she commented that the larger plaque would make a good clipboard. With that idea in mind, I painted all three plaques with Calypso Blue craft paint, distressed the edges and used spray adhesive to add some coordinating paper.


I added an old office clip to the larger one to create the clipboard. I had to add an old rubber washer to keep the clip level.


Now it holds a small pad of paper to jot down shopping list items.



But what could I do with the two smaller plaques? I’m practical, so I wanted to create something useful as well as pretty.

On one of the smaller plaques, I printed out common kitchen measurements, such as 2 cups = 1 pint.


On the other one, I printed food substitutions, such as 1 T. fresh herbs = 1 tsp. dried herbs.


Now the three plaques are decorative as well as useful. You could hang them on a kitchen wall or add magnets to the back so they could be attached to the refrigerator.



So 3 vintage wooden plaques go from
Why, Oh, Why?



To
My, Oh, My!



 I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at A Brambleberry Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Creative Bloggers Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime

24 comments:

  1. Sherry they turned out soooo cute! Love that color blue! What a fun project! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry,
    The plaques turned out great! I love that color and the papers you used. Thanks for the shout out today. I'm glad the clipboard idea worked. And I am really loving your other two plaques with the substitutions on them. That is such a cute idea for a kitchen. Why, Oh Why to My, Oh My is right!!
    Have a great day.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out so cute! You're a clever gal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute idea! I love the blue paint. I definitely need to always have that info handy!



    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry,
    the plaques turned out beautifully,
    I will be honored if you will add this tutorial in our weekly linking party every Wednesdays at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/08/my-inner-baker-with-linking-party.html
    Have a great week,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent ideas..the kitchen measurements one would make a great gift for a bride to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowowowowowowowowo!!! You did an excelent redo!!!

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  8. The re-do is adorable! Thanx for sharing. You always have the best ideas! Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out SO cute! I love this color blue...looks a lot like the chalk paint everyone is using! Have a FUN DAY...I know you will! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are really sweet--love the blue and the old clip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very clever and a major improvement on the originals -- I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect answers! I love all of these ideas! Two thumbs up! :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great...you are getting so creative and crafty! I really like the ideas you have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great ideas! Pass these up all the time because I don't know what to do with them...Now you got my mind spinning!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a transformation! Sad to say, but I would have probably passed those little plaques up. You were so smart to take them home, Sherry. They turned out so cute! ;)

    Thanks for linking to the party again this week.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, oh Wow!!! Beautiful -- love the color and the idea.

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great idea and you did very well with them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew you'd do something creative with those ugly ducklings. Very clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanx for stopping by and sharing on Treasure Hunt Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know that you have so many blog parties to choose from so thank you for choosing Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. This post is added to the party blast! Enjoy the rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cleaver idea, Sherry! I love the colors, and the clipboard is genius! I just picked up two of those plaques at the thrift store a week or so ago (the same shape as yours!), not knowing what I would do with them. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!