Monday, August 29, 2011

Mirror Tray Makeover



I probably would have passed up this old mirror tray had I not seen one transformed by Carol at The Polka Dot Closet. This mirror was in good vintage shape, but the metal frame had started to rust. It needed to be rescued!

I primed and painted the frame with white paint.


It still looked a little plain to me and I remembered that a couple of months ago I had picked up a jar of Armour Etch glass etching cream.


Now seemed like the perfect time to put it to use. An etched design on the mirror sounded like the perfect touch.

I read the instructions on the jar and it said to use stick-on vinyl when etching the design on the glass. There was no vinyl in my house…..What to do?  I really wanted to finish this project. Think, think, think …..What about wide scotch tape?  I didn’t want to mess up my tray, so I found a small compact with a mirror on top and gave the tape a test run.


Success!


Going back to the mirror tray……. I adhered a piece of wide tape to the mirror, traced the design using a stencil and cut out the design.


Then I globbed on the Armour Etch.


It said to wait five minutes and then wash it off.


Success….again!


But I wasn’t quite done. The back side of the mirror tray was just boring gray cardboard, so I attached a pretty piece of craft paper to the back and now it’s almost as pretty as the top side.




Before


After



Have you ever used etching cream?



I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Creative Bloggers Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm


14 comments:

  1. Sherry this is so cute! I have a mirror that I found painted white and I love it. I've never used etching cream but I love the look so maybe I will try it! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't, but that is a fabulous idea!!! The mirror looks great! Thanks for the shout out!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used etching cream. Probably won't either, but it does look good. I have phobias with certain things and leave it to others who know what they are doing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!! I think I may have one of those old mirrors in the attic somewhere..time to go looking for it!t
    Thank you (and The Polka Dot Closet)for sharing the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's so many of those mirrors out there that need a little pick-me-up. Great job Sherry! I haven't used it in several years, but always had great success, can't think of anytime when it didn't come out right. I used it on some old windows and used the clear contact paper that comes in a roll...usually for lining your shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy -- this looks like fun and I have quite a few of those trays. Can't wait to try it! I like Betsy's idea as well to use old windows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty, Sherry! I've been seeing alot of these mirrored trays lately, but always passed them by, as I never knew what to do with them! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry, I almost bought etching cream last weekend, but, didn't think I could do a very good job with it. Think I'll go back and pick some up. Thanks for the inspiration! You make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I've never tried anything like that but it's a great idea! I have a mirror that has a scratch on it...hmmmm! Maybe this is the answer to 'fixing it'! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE etching cream. I've been itching to buy some and use it, but I don't need any more projects any time soon!
    Wondering if I could do some kind of Christmas gifts with it, just for fun. :)
    Cute tray project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO pretty! I've always wanted to try etching cream but never had the right project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty and successful project Sherry! I ahve never heard of etching cream. That's what I love about blogging. We truly learn something every day don't we?
    Great job!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. This wonderful post totally contributed to the blog party's success! Thanks for linking up at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!