Monday, July 18, 2011

An Old Crate and Other Finds

Mom and I mapped out our Friday morning excursion. We decided that first we would go to an estate sale way out in the country and then come back by the only yard sale that sounded interesting. As we passed country homes, old barns, horses and cows, Mom asked out loud, “I wonder what we are going to find today?” I silently knew we would find something, but I wondered if our trip would be worth the gas it was taking to get there.


The country estate sale was not professionally staged which is both good and bad. The items were not displayed well and most were not priced, but at least those prices turned out to be a little lower.

After a bit of digging, we found a mirrored dresser tray, an old spool of green seam binding (love the graphics) and a small Floragold bowl.



This pretty plate with pink roses from Germany was Mom’s pick.



I also found a Mississippi souvenir plate and 2 blue fridgies, but only one lid. *sad face*



On our way back into town we passed by an old junk market, so we decided to stop. We had good luck there before, so why not!

This set of 6 vintage jelly glasses called out to me.



Also saying “take me home” was this pretty bowl and dessert plates in the “Petal” pattern.



But nothing could have prepared me for what I found next…..elegant glassware at a junk shop.....a set of Candlewick salt and pepper shakers!!!



And that old crate I mentioned in the title? 
I found it at the yard sale.

It was hiding in the garage under a table of miscellaneous Christmas stuff.  I asked the guy if it was for sale. He said, “Sure” and dug it out.  It turned out to be a old Peters Ammunition Box.


SOLD! 


Did you go to any sales this weekend?


I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Today’s Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality
Magpie Monday at Me and My Shadow
 

27 comments:

  1. Those estate sales out in the country always have so much potential although I've been keeping the cost of gas in th back of my mind as well -- potential is fun but finding things is better. :-) I didn't buy anything this weekend after shopping many dud sales on Friday and then a rainy Saturday which made me decide not to out. Maybe next weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I've had that same conversation with my own mom. We're always wondering what's around the corner and if the trip will be worth the gas:-) Looks like it was! I'm sure you'll find a lid to go with that fidgie. I love those S&P shakers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that box! And the salt and pepper shakers. Great finds Sherry!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT FINDS!! looks like you had a lot of fun!

    Smiles,
    the Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wooden crates of any description. I picked one up the other week with the logo "Super Fish Cakes" which makes me smile!

    Sounds like a lovely day out with your Mum and added bonus of finding lots of treasure.

    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The old crate is great, and I don't do much glassware but those juicers are fabulous. I just joined up and hope to see more soon.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those s&p shakers...love 'em! I also love those juice glasses too. I sure wish I had your knowledge as to just what is what. I didn't go to any sales over the weekend but hope to on my upcoming NC trip!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. what lovely finds, love the crate, flowery plate and glasses... well most of it actually :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've found some gorgeous bargains there - I especially like the salt and pepper shakers and the petal bowls x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the wooden crate. I think my husband and both would have been happy with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We haven't been to any sales lately. I am starting to feel a thrift store expedition coming on. Since the Space Center is closing we are seeing a lot of stores and restaurnats go out of business and more thrift stores opening up. This may be the time to go to some thrift stores. The fridgies are cut. Are those Boopie or Candlewick S&P's ? You did well Sherry!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Jelly vintage glasses, and the German rose plate is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh what great finds! Love the candlewick shakers! Imagine still with the tops!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd say you ladies had a great day, I love those refrigerator bowls, seems I can never find the lids though. Moms plate is to die for

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you managed to find some wonderful treasures, Sherry! How nice that you and your Mom can enjoy the hunt together! Those salt and pepper shakers are gorgeous! I hope you are going to keep them:) And I used to have a petal shaped bowl just like yours, but I got rid of it when we moved:(
    I love old creates too, yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the candlewick S&P!!!! Those are gorgeous! Also good finds on the fridgies! I found two fridgie lids today but they are the next size up from that. I always buy lids when I see them if they are a good price! I'm going back to drool over that S & P!!
    hugs
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had to leave another comment to let you know I also love those jelly jar glasses. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sherry,
    Very pertty plate your Mom picked and those glasses are AWESOME!!!Good finds! I just found some smalls!
    Warmly,
    deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oops..
    That's PRETTY plate...I need spell check for my comments!
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great finds, as always. So glad you had good luck this past weekend. I did find some pretty vintage jewelry. That makes me happy. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You get your "talent" from your sweet mom!
    Beautiful finds.

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love those jelly glasses and that crate!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great finds. The wood crate is definitely my favorite. Just found and followed your blog and would love to have you visit me back.
    Laura
    http://www.imsovintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your crate as I have a thing about containers especially if they have writing on them.
    I loved the glasses too

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cool salt and pepper shakers...I kind of have a thing for salt and pepper shakers. Going to an estate sale this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed the post after this - so decided to check out another one. Very nicely done. I love your last two finds, the S&P and ammo box. Great stuff. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoy you and your Mom's vintage searches! I do have a little petal dish like the one you show! Great sewing stool update. It's so pretty now!

    Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! Hometalk has said if I get 500 entries, they will increase the Gift Card to $100.
    Honey

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!