Thursday, July 21, 2011

John Deere Sewing Stool?

I know that’s a strange title, but I’ll explain.

A couple of months ago I told you about a coffee table that I re-did. At the same time I bought that coffee table, I bought a stool that had been “re-done” with a John Deere theme. Someone painted it dark red and covered the seat with John Deere fabric.


I really didn’t care for the theme, so I decided to freshen it up a bit.

A little research informed me that this stool was actually a Singer sewing stool from the 1940s. The lid comes off to reveal an area for storage of sewing supplies. I’ll show that storage area to you in a minute. First let me show you the re-painted stool.


After a light sanding, I painted the stool with two coats of a light buttery yellow paint. A little distressing revealed some of that former dark red paint.


Since this was a sewing stool, I selected a pieced fabric (like a quilt-top) that had both the red and the butter colors in it. 


Here’s that storage area with some of my vintage sewing accessories.


I don’t have a sewing stool, so it’s tempting to keep this one; however, it is for sale in my booth.

Do you like the lighter palette?


I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Creative Bloggers Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed

22 comments:

  1. It definitely is a sewing stool. I like your taste much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there - walking through on Time Travel Thursday. Glad to meet you. The stool is precious done the way you did it. The fabric, paint and distressing are great together. don't blame you for wanting to hold onto it. Very well done and nicely displayed in this post. I imagine it'll sell quickly. I didn't know they did sewing stools w/storage - you know, it'd make a nice piece to set beside your sewing chair for both extra seating and hiding your sewing stuff! Enjoyed my visit. Thanks, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lighter palette and the fabric you used. I don't think it will last long in your booth. Much, much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with Deere but this is great. And some storage space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this stool Sherry! It is so cute. The guilt looking top and the colors you painted it are perfect. One of my favorite things you've shown us!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much better! However, it was kind of cool with the John Deere...I mean, who else would have one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I love this!! What a great find and "re-do"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful transformation. I love to take something old, and turn it into something beautiful and useful. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it - love the paint, distressing, and fabric. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful transformation. It's amazing how much better that stool looks with the right paint and fabric!! What you've done is perfect! My mom has one of those sewing stools (but hers has a back to it). She uses it every day when she sews.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your re-do of the sewing stool. Cute pieced fabric and new paint really changed the look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours is much more beautiful -- love it!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love John Deere... but DEFINITELY not on that stool! It looks sooo much cuter now that you've done it over. Love how it opens for storage, too.. neat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not only is the stool beautiful, but using a fabric that has a vintage look and quilting theme is perfect. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on the Re-doSewingStool! I do like the lighter color and of course love the new quilt cover. I'd be soooooo tempted to keep it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect sewing stool. Yep, I like it a whole lot better than John Deer. I sit on a little sewing stool just like that, good job Sherry

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stool is adorable, you know, I love quilting so this pieced top is just my cup of tea! Thanks for linking up with VIF, xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pretty new fabric! My sister would have liked the J. Deere! heehee! I had forgotten about sewing stools with storage! How neat! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is perfect Sherry...and how lucky for you there was a touch of red that shows through! Awesome...we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the redo! The buttery yellow is just perfect and I really LOVE the quilted top! This piece would definitely be hard for me to get rid of! Thank you for joining TTF and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so grateful that you linked up in this week's Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :) This awesome post totally rocked the party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the stool and I love what how you painted it and redid the top.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!