Thursday, June 30, 2011

Vintage Stars and Stripes



This patriotic weekend is the time for food and fireworks, so I opened my china cabinet and linen drawer and gathered all the stars and stripes I could find. I combined them with red, white and blue and now I have the perfect vintage table setting for our Independence Day celebration.


My first selection was “Star” made by Federal Glass Company. Federal Glass made Star from late 1950s through early 1960s in yellow, crystal and crystal w/gold trim. I was very lucky to have found a set of crystal plates, cups/saucers and platter at an estate sale a few years ago. While researching this set in Gene Florence’s book, Collectible Glassware from the 40s, 50s, 60s, he stated that he had not been able to find a crystal cup or saucer. I wonder if I should let him know that I have four?


I added color to the tabletop by using inexpensive cloth flags as placemats. I selected a few pieces of vintage cobalt blue Fiestaware, red and white striped napkins, a blue ringed mixing bowl and red-striped sherbet glasses with matching plates.







Want to create your own patriotic tabletop?

In addition to the above ideas, look for cobalt blue bottles, milk glass dinnerware, and ruby red glassware. Use blue fruit jars for drinking glasses, embellish old napkin rings with wooden stars and make denim placemats out of old jeans. Add natural color with sliced watermelon, strawberries and blueberries or serve tomato slices on an ironstone platter. Most of all, be creative and have fun!!!




Have a Happy and Safe Independence Day weekend!



I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at Blue Creek Home
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Inspiration Friday at At the Picket Fence
Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound
Creative Bloggers Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime

35 comments:

  1. OM Goodness! The star glass plates are gorgeous, so inique, just too great! I love it how you can see thru it all the RED, WHITE AND BLUES of your linens. Have a wonderful 4th. weekend! Lots of hugs! FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have some of your blueberries! Great ideas for decorating! I have a big tablecloth to put on the table...I'll take pics! heehee! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those star dishes are so SWEET. I love all your pretty stuff--Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will the perfect table setting for your 4th of July dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a welcoming combination of dishes and red, white and blueness! The star plates are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have all the makings for a wonderful celebration. No, do not tell Gene Florence about your cups and saucers. Great idea: old jeans into placements.
    Happy 4th to you and yours ...

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. never saw those star plates before! interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those star plates are amazing. I love red, white and blue and you have done it proud. Have a wonderful weekend! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful table setting for eating blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pretty table and the glass star plate is so special.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a festive table and great ideas. What time does the bbq start?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the Star crystal. Love how you have accented it to create a patriotic setting. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not seen plates like this with the stars. How unusual and very different. I would have snatched them up had I found them out thrifting...Love these!! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun table setting and that Star crystal is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh we so love those glass star plates!! What a fantastic table they'll make for the weekend!! Now....to figure out what to fill those plates up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 4th to you as well. We're hoping summer will start this weekend here in Oregon ... hoping. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I want some of those blueberries! Love the star dishes. So perfect for the 4th!


    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those start glass plates! What a great find. Everything looks just wonderful. Thank you for joining TT and I hope you and your family have a fun and safe holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it!! those vintage plates and cups and saucers really are wonderful. great star motif! Thanks for joining in for the party! xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all of your ideas and that things don't necessarily have to be PATRIOTIC to be used for a patriotic setting! LOVE the star dishes . . . haha, you might want to tease that guy and let him know you have them . . . maybe you can fund a cruise or something else with what he might offer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sherry, what a great find. I was thinking I had never seen that pattern,I guess I am not alone. Happy 4th to you and your family

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. It appears you are prepared for a great fun holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Makes me want to sing I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy! Love the blueberries incorporated into the display.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How pretty, Sherry! I don't think I've ever seen that star pattern before, but it sure is fitting for the 4th! Have a great holiday weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cute! I love the star plates!

    I hope you have a Happy 4th!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop has grown for the better because of your participation. Thanks for linking up this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. May her flag fly high & proud forever over this great land ... may God see the changes we need & grant us that blessing.

    Happy 4th, sweetie.

    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have a wonderful collection of glass plates. Happy 4th of July and PS!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Sherry! Such great ideas for decorating our tables for the 4th! Your pictures are so pretty and festive. Don't you just love red, white and blue and all the natural fruits (and dishes) we can use to bring a patriotic look??

    Oh...I should have known you could give me info on my glasses!! Thanks!! Are they fairly easy to find? Of course I would like more than four.

    Enjoy the holiday weekend, friend. My Mama is a comin'! :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sherry, I love your patriotic table setting.
    The star dishes are so pretty. Mr. Florence might just pay top dollar for those cups and saucers!
    Thanks for coming to the party and I hope you and yours have a blessed Fourth of July!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fun table. The star dishes are new to me. Thanks for sharing this information. They are lovely and perfect for a patriotic setting. Clever of you to bring in the stripes.
    Happy 4th of July! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this! Well, I do have all this cobalt blue around my house so I guess I can put it to good use this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi: Just found your blog and love what you did on your table. Thank you so much for the hints. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your vintage glass...especially the red striped. Have a pinkishly beautiful Independence Day

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!