Monday, May 23, 2011

Things That Make You Go Hmmm!

There were only a few yard sales this weekend and they didn’t offer anything interesting, so checking out the thrift stores was the only option for treasure-hunting. They certainly didn’t disappoint, but what I found just made me go “Hmmm….wonder what this is?”


An oddly shaped lidded cardboard box was my first “Hmmm.” On the top of the box there is a picture of three ladies dressed in flapper attire resting under a pine tree. It is labeled “Three Flowers” and the lithography is obviously vintage. The box measures approximately 9 x 8 x 3.


The inside is lined with a silky peach-colored fabric and it looks as if there had once been three objects lying in the box. I can only assume that these would have been bottles of perfume or other similar cosmetics. The mirror and brush were not included with the box.


The outside and inside of the top is marked Richard Hudnut, New York, Paris.


From my research, Hudnut was the first American to make a fortune in perfume. He introduced such fragrances as Violet Sec (1896), Aimee (1902), Vanity (1910) and Three Flowers (1915). His products were of such high quality that they were sold only in department stores. Source: http://www.perfumeprojects.com/ 

 * * * * * * *

A visit to another thrift store and yet another “Hmmm.”


I knew it had to be a footstool. It had a Victorian feel to it and it rocked.....….literally!


After some research, I found out that this is indeed a footstool called a gout stool or gout rocker. Gout is a form of arthritis often concentrated in the lower extremities. Relief from the painful condition was often found by getting the feet and legs in a certain position. The gout stool offered several angles from which to choose so one could find the most comfortable position. Source: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/  Today, a gout rocker is often used as a footstool for a rocking chair.

* * * * * * *

This little gray graniteware cup is my last “Hmmm.” I actually found it last year, but I haven’t been able to determine its use, so I’m including it in this post in the hope that you might say, “Hmmm, I know what that is!”


Basically it is a 4” diameter cup with holes in the bottom and sides. There is a cute handle and the most curious thing is that it has three little feet on the bottom which make it stand 2.5” tall.


Do you know anything about this little strainer cup
or does it just make you go Hmmm……!?!?!


I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Magpie Monday at Me and My Shadow
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm

18 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I have no clue on the cup. I could see grandma using it to dip noodles with it though.
    Love the perfume box- great graphics. The gout rocker is cool. Never seen one before.
    Great hmmms post.
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cup similar but with no holes. The antique dealer that sold it to me said it was a berry picking cup. Who knows. Maybe yours is for straining off the dirty water from berries. I was going to say a purfume box on the neat Three Flowers box but I guess you have already figured that one out. And I immediately knew that was a foot stool for gout. We love to tour plantations and I have seen many of these in the big houses. Thanks for sharing these. I love it when you challenge us with a whazzit? or a Humm? :) ~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful little box, I just love the vintage illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love these cool finds. That box is amazing, love the shape. Yes fancy perfume for sure. The gout stool is wonderful, I've never seen one. I would love one for my rocker. The cup with holes and little feet is my favorite but don't have any idea what it is. Ames had some ideas. I'll check back to see if anyone knows more. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding me!! What great finds!!!!!!
    And the research, how cool is that!!!!!!
    I love that box!!

    The last hmmm thing, no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the gout stool. It must be a rare item because I've never seen one before. Is that needlepoint or printed fabric? I couldn't tell in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how interesting...huh, well that is what we laugh about what we say in our family! the box is so pretty and so is the unusual foot stool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I doon't know what the cup is - sorry!

    Love the Gout stool! How funny (well, not funny if you have gout I guess!).

    The box is stunning. Those ladies look like they could have been painted by Marty - I think he did do some advertising work so maybe? Great finds x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, maybe that cup is for straining curds to make soft cheese? LOVE the perfume box, just beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the ladies of the Three Flowers - what a find. A gout stool, though! People have always been ingenious at finding how to take care of themselves, huh? Fun finds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. some lovely finds, really love the box :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm no sorry have no idea what the little cup is for.

    Love the foot stool though, it's great! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you really have a knack for finding amazing treasures, Sherry! I love the perfume box! And I wish I knew what that little cup was for!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the box, too...and go Hhhmmm a LOT when I shop vintage! lol Don't have any idea about the cup! I speaking of hmmm...I posted my vintage hankies last night for Mosaic Monday! I haven't been to the Thrift store in a couple of weeks but today I went...and found 4 hankies! First time I've ever found any there! Isn't that neat? Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's definitely an interesting chair! Sometimes you just can't figure some treasures out!


    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness, I love that perfume box. Just epitomises vintage, fab! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!