Monday, May 30, 2011

Slim Pickin's

It was "slim pickin's" in the hunt for vintage this holiday weekend. That's Southern for "not too much to pick from." I did, however, manage to get to a moving sale earlier in the week and I found a few interesting things to show you.

I bought a wooden plate rack and a pretty Copeland Spode plate (you actually got a peek of it in my last post). There was also a colorful linen towel with a Mardi Gras theme and an unusual 3-legged vase with an elaborate building pictured on one side.


Do you recognize the building?



I also found a copy of A Cook’s Tour of Mississippi (1980), a set of green salt and pepper shakers, a dish with peacocks and a nice dishcloth with embroidery on huck toweling.



Lastly I discovered an interesting silver rectangular trivet/cradle. I think it’s probably used to cradle a Pyrex casserole, but I’m not sure.


I think, instead, I will cut a piece of glass or wood for it and use it as a serving tray.


Do you have another idea for it?



I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Magpie Monday at Me and My Shadow

15 comments:

  1. if you get a insert it would be pretty with flowers in it too!

    Have not been doing much hunting...huge Gypsy Caravan today in St. Louis but I was not wanting to fight the crowds or the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe everyone decided to vacation or just stay home and relax rather than put out the tremendous effort to put on a yard, garage or estate sale. Maybe next weekend! Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Plate!!! I just painted my kitchen a pretty yellow and that plate would look perfect in it:)
    I went out on Thursday and just found a couple of things.."slim pickin's" here too!
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could be used for so many things! And no, I don't think I recognize the building! You found some neat treasures! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors of that plate. It's been pretty slim pickins here also. I did go to the thrift on 1/2 price day and found a few items. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was slim pickins here, too, Sherry! I love the vase, it is gorgeous! I also really love the plate. And your idea for a glass insert is perfect for the wire holder. Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry the pickins' were so slim but you did manage to find a few treasures. Hope you had a nice Memorial Day weekend.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Memorial Week to you and yours! I think you did well with your Slim Pickins. That metal carrier would have definitely followed me home. I saw a pyrex dish in my GW that looks like it would have fit it. I carried it around for a while in my cart AND I sent you some ESP about it. BUT I didn't take it home, there were other goodies that won the seats of honor in my car. I LOVE your ideas for glass or wood, MAYBE you should do both so you can change it too.
    Big Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. You still managed to get a whole bunch of great things though!

    Love the wooden plate rack.

    Missielizzieb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did not even try vintage hunting this weekend so appreciate that you got out there and shuffled through the slim pickens (wasn't that an actor or singer or something?). The 'tray' is so cool, definitely something crafty in the offing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not bad for slim pickings! I probably like the cook book best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. quality treasures are better than quantity! love the cook book!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL on one of my last posts I said "I got on the book bandwagon" Someone wrote and said where was the wagon and could she get on,,,,She was young and serious! Oh I feel so old! I don't know what the building is? What if you used Chicken wire in the metal casserole hold, you could put it straight across and use clothes pins to use as a memo board or use chicken wire and fill it with moss for a plant holder

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was slim pickins around here too. Normally Memorial Day weekend is full of sale, not this year. The salt and pepper shakers are sort of cool. Love the metal thingie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherry, I bought your bird lamp and love it. I had been looking at it for several weeks. Can't wait to visit your booth again soon!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!