Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Oh Happy Day!

Have you ever had an idea for something that was so simple
you wonder why you hadn’t thought of it before? 

  
Well that happened to me a few days ago.


I had an idea for a sign.
A sign for ANY day you wanted to celebrate.
A Happy Day sign.
A Happy Any Day sign.
Just fill in the ANY with ANYTHING!


Perhaps it’s someone’s birthday!



Perhaps someone special is graduating this year!



And, of course, Father’s Day is coming up soon!



Here’s how I made my HAPPY ANY DAY sign....

I sanded and primed a piece of scrap wood that I already had. You can use any size you want. Mine happened to be 5-1/2” x 21-1/2".


I then added a little aqua paint here and there so some color would show through after distressing.


I applied two final coats of a very soft yellow. Using my Word program, I found a suitable font and worked with it until the height and width seemed to fit. I transferred the words to the board with carbon paper (if you don’t have carbon paper, just scribble a soft graphite pencil on the backside of the letters and it will work just like carbon paper) and filled in the letters with black craft paint. After drying, I distressed the whole board with sandpaper.


Then I taped off the area where I wanted to apply the chalkboard paint. I applied 3 coats of chalkboard paint with a sponge applicator making sure to let each coat dry thoroughly. After removing the tape, I broke-in the surface by rubbing it with the side of a piece of chalk and then erased. I finished it off by adding a couple of sawtooth hangers to the back. That's it!


Now ANY day can become a day to celebrate…..like today!!!




I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Creative Bloggers Party & Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tuesdays Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Whassup Wednesday at Elements Interiors
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage
Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville

21 comments:

  1. ahh such a cute idea - love it! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, tooooo smart!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well aren't YOU creative? Very cute. I bet my grandsons would love to see this at my house too. :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sign! Thanks for linking this awesome post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. It's a great Mothers' Day present for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just TOO TOO CUTE! Aren't you smart to think of this! You need a patent on it! Today is my happy home day! I love it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. How creative -- thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute, Cute, Cute!! I love that! You are a clever lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant idea! Watch we will see it on Ballards soon for $190!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry,
    What a great idea...I love it! Hope you don't mind if your idea is copied...they say it's the greatest form of flattery, right? I can't wait until school is over and I get some time to try this...I'm adding it to my summer crafting list. Thanks for sharing!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute idea! You will gets lots of use from this. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so creative and versatile! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! This a very neat idea!!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! Love it...thanx for sharing. Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Smartypants Day!! Which is everyday around your house because you are a super smartypants to come up with that. The ONLY complaint I have is that Now I HAVE to make one for my house - so much for laying around whining all day. H

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a brilliant idea- thank you for sharing :)! I am now your newest follower, I hope you will follow me too! I look forward to your future blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, that is the best idea I've seen in awhile! What a fun gift that would make! I love chalkboards, and as you say, sometimes the simplest ideas are the most effective! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a cute idea! I think we might just borrow it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. While surfing blogland today I found you! The sign is too, too cute! And it's so creative! Blessings! And see ya down the junkin' road!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that's such a brilliant idea and so practical too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!