Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Can You Over-Do a Re-Do?

A couple of weeks ago I bought this coffee table.


Once a stained mahogany table, a previous owner had painted it white.


The paint job had seen better days and Gorilla Glue had been used to glue some of the joints. As you know, Gorilla Glue expands as it dries and it left an unsightly problem that would need to be addressed.


I loved the lines, though, and I thought it was worthy of another makeover. I decided to repaint it rather than strip the paint and re-stain it.

I dug out the Gorilla Glue and re-glued the joints with wood glue. After the glue had dried, I sanded and primed the table with a couple coats of Kilz2. I brushed on two more coats of creamy mis-tint paint from Lowes and then distressed it by hand with some sandpaper.


Here’s the point where I had to make a decision. Because my intention for undertaking this re-do was to sell the table in my booth, just how far should I take the makeover?

The step-down area on the top just screamed for a fancy Mod Podge, blog-worthy design…….maybe sheet music, fabric, or old book pages? Maybe I should go for the gusto and paint an American Flag, a British Flag or would that be going just too far?

Can you over-do a re-do?

It’s really a fine line to walk. An “embellished top” makeover would be more edgy….more unique….but would it be so unique that only a few people would consider buying it? Would doing nothing leave it too plain…….too boring to buy?

What would you do?

I decided to keep it simple so it would appeal to more buyers and I had a piece of glass cut to fit the indented area of the table top.


I felt that this would give the potential buyer more options. They could “make it their own” by adding pictures, sheet music or other favorite items under the glass.




Or maybe the best choice would be just to keep it simple with a few treasured items placed on top.


What do you think?
Can you over-do a re-do?
What would you have done?


I’ll be linking to the following parties:

Creative Bloggers Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tuesday Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
White Wednesday at Faded Charm
Would You Buy It Wednesday at Junker Newbie
Vintage Thingie Thursday at The Coloradolady


24 comments:

  1. thanks for joining my new party!
    http://junkernewbie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out terrific - I'd slip the photos of your examples under the glass for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good 'fix' - glass top added extends the options. Nice job.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful table. I know exactly what you mean. Everything changes when we're selling our treasures and not keeping them for ourselves. I usually prefer to keep it neutral and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Blogger seems to be working for the moment so... the table is super cute and the glass top allows for a lot of options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your decision to keep it plain and simple. You did a nice job, too. And, yes, I can say from experience that you can over do a re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you can over do a redo! If it does not appeal to a larger audience then you might be stuck with it longer. I love the glass and the chance to make it personal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe might sell more quickly. I like that you can show people what can be done with the piece. I don't think someone would not buy it because it did not have sheet music, etc mod podged on it, but I can see where someone would avoid buying it if it has it on there and they don't go for that look. So safe gives them the option of doing something more to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree...safe would sell faster. The glass is a great idea so you could add things below it...I would def consider buying a table like that that already has the glass in there! Came over from Homemaker on a Dime. Love your blog! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you, I have antiques booth and sometimes get so tired with the same white finish, but you're right to edgy and I might be stuck with it. I stick with solid blue, pink, or white. I had one like that once and copied some vintage post cards from graphics fairy and put it under the glass and it sold immediately. People will love it, don't price it to low!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you did ~ perfect ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea for the glass! Means you can sell it with something catchy under there but people would still have the option to customize. If it were mine, I would add lace!

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think what you did was just right and a great job, too! I like the idea of having the option to put something vintagey under the glass.
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect little table! Bet it won't stay in your booth very long!
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the examples-show it, don't tell it; if you show someone the idea, they are more likely to imagine how they can imitate it. The glass idea is perfect. Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful table, Sherry! You did a great job transforming it, and getting rid of all of that Gorilla glue gunk, too! And you made an excellent point! So often it seems like we "over do" or over think a project. In this case, I'd have to agree with you that simpler IS better! I love your idea of adding the glass, so the buyer can change out the look. Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sherry, I found a coffee table very similiar and I put a mirror on top. You can see it here: http://whitecottagechic.blogspot.com/2010/09/shabby-coffee-table.html

    It is a lovely table, and since I feel I always do too much I can't offer an opinion. I love this table and get a lot of compliments on it.
    Whatever you do, will you post it? Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you just proved you can redo a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have cleaned it up, fixed the glue mess, and painted it. I would not have distressed it because I don't like that look.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it has just the right amount of re-do. And yes! I do think that you can do too much.

    I love it!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope this post this time. I have been having trouble leaving comments so here goes...I love the table. I would clean the glue up and freshen the shabby white and sell it as is.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  22. You fixed it up so nicely. I think stopping there and letting the buyer decide what to put under the glass was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think your solution is perfect, especially for re-sale. Although your mention of a flag caught my attention too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is perfect. We have an antique coffee table made by a relative several years ago that looks almost exactly like this. It's hard to find people with coffee table re-do's like this. My husband and I talked about doing a similir idea with the top.. adding glass. I'm so glad I found your blog to visualize our ideas!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!