Monday, April 4, 2011

Re-Rack

Would you recognize this if you saw it sitting on
a thrift store shelf?


It was an odd place to find an old hymnal rack from the back of a church pew. It makes me wonder just why a rack gets separated from its pew! Whatever the reason, I decided to buy it, spruce it up and put it in my booth.


This was the best picture I could take in its found condition. You’ll just have to trust me that the wood was a bit dried out and it had several areas of paint spatters.


Yes, I thought about painting it white and distressing it, but there is just something inside me that will not allow me to paint nicely-grained oak. So I lightly sanded it and, thankfully, the paint spatters came off easily. I rubbed on a light coat of red oak stain and the grain just seemed to pop out in appreciation.

Here is the rack hanging in my booth (sorry, there is NO natural light in my booth) holding several cookbooks, but it could also hold plates or metal trays.


The holes that once held the grape juice/wine for The Lord’s Supper can be repurposed to hold flowers.



The rack would also make great storage in an office for files or reference books. In a pantry it could hold cookbooks and utensils. In a mudroom/garage entrance it would be perfect as a rack for coats, keys and calendars.

For several years now, I’ve had three smaller hymnal racks in my breakfast nook. They hold three of my copper chargers right now, but get changed out depending on the season.




Have you ever found an old hymnal rack?
Did you re-purpose it?


I’ll be linking to the following parties:
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Whassup Wednesday at Elements Interiors
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style

17 comments:

  1. I love this find! Oh what a great way to use it for cookbooks! I've never seen one in my searching or if I did, I didn't realize what it was. Now I'm on the hunt for one! Love yours in the kitchen with your chargers on it. No baby news yet! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! You did a great job cleaning it up. And I love the three you have on your wall--there are so many possibilities with them. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never found an old hymnal rack, but saw about 30 pieces of communion ware at the thrift last weekend. Do churches go out of business?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find! I LOVE the three you have in your home and how you displayed them! AND they are "Blessed", so what an extra special item! I'm happy you didn't paint them, this is the way they are intended to be... Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you repurposed the rack. Now if I ever see one I will just HAVE to buy it! Lana www.lifeatwildberrycottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember ever seeing one of those hymnal racks when it wasn't attached to the back side of a pew. I think your set of three looks wonderful with the chargers. Very creative indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those old racks! i have never seen any, and you have 4! lucky you. but, perhaps i've seen them but didn't really realize what they were! it looks great in your shop.


    ::found you through thrift share monday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! - and most definitely from a Baptist church. You are so very creative!!!!

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I've seen those before and never realized what they were! The ones in your home look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweet display! i love hymnal racks, but do not currently own any. . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I have never found one or seen one in a shop! I like the idea of a cookbook shelf- you could drill out the cup holders ofr untensils. It would be great in the bathroom- small and it could hold a journal to write down quick ideas, books to read while you soak! It is so much fun!
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the hymnal rack with the communion cup holders...takes me back to my childhood attending the Baptist Church where I was baptized (have since become Methodist)...Thanx for sharing, Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my what an amazing idea. So many possibilites for display. You are very creative. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I started reading, I thought, now WHAT can be done with an old hymnal rack? Very cute and useful! :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have bever run across one before, but now that I saw yours in your breakfast nook I want some! Cute idea.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!