Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Piecrust Chalkboard

I went to an estate sale on a chilly day back in January. After looking through the house, I took a brief walk through the attached carport and from a distance something large caught my eye. It was on top of a table but leaning against something. As I got closer, I realized that it was a badly damaged pedestal table with a leather-covered piecrust-edge top. The pedestal was still attached to the top, but the four legs were either damaged or broken off entirely. How sad! This was once a beautiful mahogany table….too bad it was beyond repair….but wait, it was not beyond repurposing! It would make an awesome chalkboard! Since this was the second day of the sale, everything was half-price…..it cost me $1.50.

Here’s the table turned upside down in the back of my vehicle. My sweet husband is taking the broken pedestal off the bottom of the tabletop. See the broken legs sticking out of the end of the pedestal?


Once he got the pedestal off and I got the table top out of the vehicle and into some decent light, this is what I had to work with.


The wood was very dry, there was a bad split on the edge and the leather was extremely dirty.



Pretty sad, huh?


First, I glued and clamped the split edge.


Next I addressed the dryed-out wood by re-staining the edge. See what a difference the stain is making?


Originally I thought that I would just apply chalkboard paint directly over the leather, so I tried to clean the leather. Nothing worked! Since the leather was already trying to peel off, I just decided to take it off completely. That left me with raw wood. The chalkboard paint directions said that raw wood would need to be primed….. I sanded and primed…..


Finally I was able to apply the chalkboard paint….I used three coats, letting each coat dry thoroughly before applying the next. Then I broke-in the surface by rubbing it with the side of a piece of chalk and then erased.



I added a wire hanger system to the back, making sure that the wire would support the 12-pound top and that the screws weren’t so long that they would penetrate the front.



So a badly damaged mahogany piecrust-edge pedestal table…..



Becomes a beautiful Piecrust Chalkboard……..




I’m proud to be linking to the Chalk Talk Linky Party at Whisperwood Cottage!!!




I’ll also be partying at:

Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Whassup Wednesday at Elements Interiors
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Inspiration Friday at At the Picket Fence
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed

39 comments:

  1. What a creative solution Sherry! I love it and love that you worked so hard to beautify it!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite chalkboard makeover, yet! How creative and beautiful! Did you use the type of chalkboard paint that you spray on, or paint on? Bravo! Nice job, Sherry! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and if I ever make one, I need you to write on it for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative! I will never snub a broken down pie crust table again! Thanks for coming by my blog last week!
    :)Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT SAVE! The edges are wonderful for a chalk board with style! Super job getting it back to use!
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! And you did a fantastic job turning it in to a chalkboard! Kuddos to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful idea and it turned out beautifully :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! It is sad to see antique furniture so abused, but great to see them repurposed. This was a fabulous idea! Love it!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. "This is the BEST EVER Idea YET"!!! I LOVE it. Thank you so much for the idea! It's so wonderful that NOTHING EVER should be looked at as junk. There is NO SUCH WORD! Now I REALLY Want one of these!
    Have a Beautiful Blessed Easter Week,
    Hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, sadly, this table was broken but you gave it a new life that is so fun. It makes a great statement and usable piece on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! I love this project! Great job at looking past the ugliness of the table and making it into something beautiful!

    I have a weekly linky partey called Terrific Under Ten Tuesdays. It's for projects made for $10 or less. I would love for you to link up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am amazed with this! Love it, love it, love it! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so pretty! Love the design of the wood. Would have never guessed its origination. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really turned out great! We actually have a table like that...the we use! heehee! Love that paint! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just about the most fabulous thing I've seen YET using chalkboard paint! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have an old piecrust table that is is pretty bad shape. I just keep a table skirt on it. I love how you've given yours a new life as a chalkboard. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea!! It looks fantastic.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the most beautiful chalkboard ever! Love how you re=purposed this. You did an amazing job! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it, I love it! What an imagination you have. A fabulous hunk of junk makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely beautiful -- you are so creative! Thanks for sharing.

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's just beautiful! I love the lines of this...so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. great find and I love how you repurposed it into a chalkboard. Turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, such creativity LOVE it, great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a neat idea...love it!!! Thanks so much for sharing it at my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  25. Too cute Sherry...I have seen this done on trays, but not on a table top! Too creative. Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it! What a great idea to salvage a great piece and re-create it.

    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow! It looks awesome! What a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very good

    what a find and what a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  29. No WAYYYYY!!!!! I see those tables all the time at fleas and on CL - NEVER would have thought to do something so awesome. You are a rockstar!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fantastic transformation, how wonderful that you saw the potential for re-purposing this piece. I would have sadly walked past it. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, this is so cute. Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Unbelievably creative! Wow, I would never have thought of that. Thanks for walking us through all the steps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. fabulous shape & wonderful reuse...I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is fabulous! I love how it looks!

    I would love to have you come do a special guest post about this project on Remodelaholic if you are interested please let me know! Thanks! Cassity

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? The link is at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/04/creative-bloggers-party-hop-042411.html. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a great makeover! One of my favorite Trash to Treasures I've seen today. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great idea. So often you find damaged tables and this is such a wonderful way to repurpose them!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!