Tuesday, March 15, 2011

So What Do You Plant in a Strawberry Pot?

I know that this is NOT a gardening blog, but indulge me. I have this big ole VINTAGE strawberry pot. It has 16 side holes and stands 18” tall. A couple of the “lips” are broken off and it has some paint drips on it, but I love it nonetheless. The former owner left it when he sold the property to us and it sat empty for a couple of years before I decided to plant something in it.



So what DO you plant in a strawberry pot?




Well, BEGONIAS, of course!


A few years ago I read about planting begonias in a strawberry pot and I’ve done it for the past three or four years. I love the way it brings color to the deck all summer. 

Here’s the pot (mine was already loaded with dirt from last year), the begonias, and my furry feline assistant!

We love our cats, don't we!!!


I started at the bottom and planted my way to the top.



 30 minutes later, here’s what you get when you plant begonias in a strawberry pot!

Side View



Top View

You'll notice my assistant isn't worrying about cleaning up for me!!! 









If you are interested in trying this, here’s a few hints:

You’ll need one small plant per hole and then at least five or six for the top opening. I bought (4) 6-packs of plants, one for each of the 16 side holes, leaving 8 plants for the top.

Be sure to get the right type of begonias for where your strawberry pot will be sitting. If it will be sitting in the sun, get “full-sun” begonias; if in partial shade, “part-sun” begonias. Buy the correct plants because once the pot is loaded with dirt, you won’t be moving it!

If you are starting with an empty pot, add dirt to just above the bottom row of holes, plant the bottom row; add dirt again to just above the next row of holes, plant the next row and continue up until you finish with the plants in the top opening.


I hope you’ve enjoyed this little gardening diversion.

So what will you be planting in your strawberry pot?


I'll be linking to Wow Us Wednesday over at Savvy Southern Style!


AND

Whassup Wednesday at Elements Interiors



18 comments:

  1. It's beautiful -- love it!! And yes, we love our cats. Smokey is absolutely gorgeous!! (He probably knows that, too!)

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have to find a Strawberry pot so I can plant Begonias in it! Love how this looks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is just beautiful. I am going to have to try this. I have to find one now because I filled mine a couple of years ago with hens and chicks. Can't even see the pot anymore ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Begonia's and they are just fine for your blog. I always look at Begonia's as a VINTAGE PLANT. One my Grandmothers ALWAYS had, and we would always be breaking off pieces to start for ourselves and they went on for Years And Years SO they are perfect for a Vintage Blog! I have one more "TIP". If you get a piece of PVC pipe with holes in it and stick it down the center of the post(use the appropriate size for the pot)AND they will even cut it for you in Home Depot if you ask so you have the right length. It makes watering "SO EASY"...I saw Martha Stewart do this AND it works SO WELL!!!
    LOVE your furry inspector!
    Hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. The begonias look stunning.
    I had a bit of a fail with my strawberry pot, I planted parsley in the sides and a capsicum plant in the top. They haven't grown very well I think there is just not enough soil for them maybe.
    Time for some new plants in mine I think ... begonias perhaps :) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purslane! Low water requirements, loves sun, will grow in the crack of a sidewalk, is yummy in salads AND it trails and makes pretty flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 2 strawberry pots that currently have pansies in them. But when the weather warms up, I'll have to replace them. I think that begonias will be the plants that I'll try next.
    Jane
    http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THIS! Come on ova' and link up to my Linky Party! xoxokara


    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    ReplyDelete
  9. The begonias look great! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! What a great idea and these flowers will bloom all summer! I mentioned you on my post this morning! HUGS! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I plant Hens and Chicks in mine...have several.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love begonias, I never thought of planting them in a strawberry pot though but you are simply genuine resourceful. Cute assistant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fabulous - well done :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that looks great! Fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This makes me so EXCITED for spring! Its BEAUTIFUL! You just got a new follower!

    Thank you for linking this up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you this week at my
    Par-Taaaay!

    xoxokara
    I would LOVE to have you as a Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to see this again after the begonias have grown - I bet it's beautiful. BTW,your assistant reminds me of my assistant who is really more of a supervisor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea for a strawberry pot. I tried planting strawberries in my pot and they did very poorly so I am excited to plant begonias in my strawberry pot...maybe we should rename it the begonia pot:-) Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!