Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Do You Fry?


In 1920, Pyrex granted a license to its competitor, Fry Glass Company, to produce Pyrex with the name “Fry Oven Glass.” One of the most popular lines to come out of that joint venture was called “Pearl” and they marketed the line as “glass with the iridescence of a pearl.” They manufactured a full line of Pearl bakeware and the knobs and rims glow with a bluish-white opalescence.



  
Fry also collaborated with Farberware of Brooklyn, NY to manufacture aluminum carriers/trivets for their casseroles and pie plates. I fell in love with that Pyrex/Fry/Farberware collaboration and bought the first piece I ever saw. It was so unique…nothing like I had ever seen before and I had to have it.



     
Fry ovenware is marked "FRY OVENGLASS."



I stand corrected!!!

I originally identified the mark below as Fry Glass....it is Federal Glass!
I'm sorry for the mistake!!!
Thank you for setting me straight!!!



 


I'll be joining Allison at Vintage Pollyana for the Tell Me Tuesday party. Won't you join me?



And I'll show off my "close-ups" over at the Macro Party at Tracy' Trinkets and Treasures.




16 comments:

  1. Oh my! I just found two of those green sherbets! I had not yet identified them, and thought they were Fire King. Thanks for the info.
    -Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun things you collect. At one time I thought I wanted to collect McCoy Pottery but I changed my mind. I like that your stuff is pretty and useful. My favorite shots are the handle and that green F. What a cool shot it is. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a educational post thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the information you share with us! Thanks! Great photo shots for sure! :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi- I am following you from a Tuesday Hop- Lovely things here. Please come by and follow my new Vintage blog and leave your links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That casserole with the carrier is absolutely stunning! Thanks for this very informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew that about Fry! I'll have to scour my cupboards to see if I have any. You are a wealth of information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That casserole dish in the carrier is amazing. It would be love at first sight for me also. I don't know if I have any Fry glass, but I will be looking now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, yes i DO! i don't remember what right now, but i have glass with that mark on it SOMEWHERE in this house. . .lol.
    neat post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting -- I'm learning a lot from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great macro shots and really nice vintage piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sherry, I am "In LOVE" with that casserole. It's gorgeous and I've never seen it before. I have seen that F on Pyrex but I didn't know what it meant! Thank you for the lesson. NOW to find one of those casseroles AND that GORGEOUS green sherbet(which I think I want a set of,hehe...My Irish is showing!)
    Thank you for sharing...
    Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen this before...but it is GORGEOUS! WOW! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one beautiful Fry casserole!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just a quick comment to add...I believe the markers mark of a F inside a shield is actually the Federal Glass Company mark.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous is correct...the "F" in a shield mark is for Federal Glass.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!