Thursday, January 6, 2011

Say What?


I’ve had this cup and saucer in my booth for months years. The set is marked TPM and has no chips, cracks or crazing. There are embossed leaves around the rim and base of the cup and the outer rim of the saucer. Sweet roses and other flowers are hand painted all over both pieces. The cup handle is elegantly shaped. Every other similarly priced cup and saucer I’ve offered always sells fairly quickly, but this set keeps hanging around.

Why?



The only thing different about this sweet cup and saucer is that something is written on it and I don’t know what it says! The gold letters look hand wrought…..maybe they were done at the same time as the flowers. Please take a close look…….......

Can you translate this for me? 

It looks like ‘Leve nochlange’ but I’m not sure…especially about the first letter….maybe it’s an “S” instead of an “L.”
Is it someone’s name?

Is it a bit of wisdom?

Is it a not-so-nice thought?

I'm almost scared to ask, but I would love to be able to tell the future buyer what it says!

Can you help?

I’ll be linking to Vintage Thingie Thursday at Coloradolady…. Maybe someone at the party will know!

12 comments:

  1. I wish I could help you. It must be some foreign name for anniversary or celebrating an occasion. I am sure some of our overseas bloggers can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typed this into Google translate...lebe noch lange ...not sure if these are the correct letters but the translation was "Live long"! So that would be a nice saying! It's really lovely! I'm having a giveaway! Hope you'll stop by to enter! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. It says "Lebe noch lange", which simply means "Live long" in German.

    Nothing scary or naughty, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Live still long, problem with translating prhases tend to be backwords, My parents spoke german and when you say the same thing in english in the exact order it comes out backwords. Hence the phase " throw the cow over the fence same hay"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you to all my translators! I'm relieved that it's something positive....Live long! I like it! Thanks so much for your help!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an adorable little cup. I love the pink roses!
    I am so excited to have found the blog of a MS girl, as I am one too--born in Laurel!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute cup and now that you know what is says maybe it will sell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing I could tell was that it was in German. Nice to have blogging friends to help out! You can add that to the price tag now. Hope it sells! It's a cutie!

    Live Long :)
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how great to know what that means. Lovely little cups, so cute. Happy vTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was about to say it Live Long in German, but a lot of people are ahead of me. Anyway, Live Long! Honey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherry: I know I have seen that little cup and saucer in your booth a hundred times; put it back for me b/c now it is sold and has a home waiting for it in Wisconsin! Along with my graters, that can be part of my new collection for my little kitchen! Sold! See you in March!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!