Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mix it Up!



It’s time to take this vintage mixer down to the Antique Mall. I finally have room for it after "de-Christmasfying" the booths and I am determined to remove some “treasures” from my home office.


This is a wonderful old Dormeyer Power Chef Food-Fixer Model 4200. I think it was manufactured in the 40s or 50s. Its bullet-shaped body is cream-colored and has a gray handle with a red “trigger.”


Wouldn’t this look great in a vintage kitchen? It works, too! The motor smoothly glides through all 10 speeds! I love the unusual way the mixer tilts sideways to install/remove the beaters. By the way, that red “trigger” isn’t the on/off switch, it’s the mechanism to remove the beaters. The on/off switch is the slider next to the 10 speed descriptions.




It comes with two milk glass bowls, two beaters and a sausage grinder attachment. The grinder attaches to the front nose of the mixer. The attachment is so clean, it looks like it’s never been used!


I found several Dormeyer mixers listed on Ebay and one of the ads said that Edith Bunker had a Dormeyer mixer in her kitchen on All in the Family. I tried to find it on some of the old TV Land photo stills, but had no luck. If you have any All in the Family videos, you might look for it in some of the kitchen scenes.




I’ll be “mixing it up” over at the Vintage Thingie Thursday party at The Coloradolady. Come on over and bring your old All in the Family videos!

16 comments:

  1. I love old mixers! We have several but not one like this. They look so great in a vintage kitchen I'm sure it will sell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My old mixer was put away and it was replaced by a new 'light weight' Costco one. It was just too heavy for my hands to hold. Love the looks of it when it is sitting on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love an old mixer too. It looks to be in really good condition. I have a green KitchenAid mixer I just adore. Can't do without it. Some lucky person will cherish this mixer for sure!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you remodel a kitchen to blend with a mixer? LOL What a fun piece! I don't think you'll have a problem selling this one! I've never seen one like it!

    Take care,
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great old mixer. It should sell in no time. Maybe you should copy one of the stills of Edith and put with it on a sign that says "Edith Bunker Owned One...So Can You".

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool mixer! Even neater that it still works. Just goes to show you how much better things were made back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the design and the "food-fixer" name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great mixer! I love the design and graphics on the side. Thans for showing this today. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very cute. I couldn't DO without my stand mixer! I remember one of my dad's aunts(near Laurel)had one similar to yours in her kitchen.
    I thought it was so neat that the bowl could turn, too!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for showing the mixer! I have a collection of milk glass mixer bowls that I've bought in thrift stores. I never saw the mixers with the bowls. As of today I have one less bowl, though! My dog knocked it off a shelf with his tail and it broke into several big pieces and lots of very tiny slivers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great vintage mixer. I actually remember them. Sigh! yep I'm old. Smile. Actually I sold antiques and have seen them over the years. Nice detailed post about this fun treasure.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful old mixer, Sherry! How great that it still has all it's attachments!
    Have a great weekend!
    ~ Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love that mixer. Even more than the brand new red mixmaster I was drooling over while Christmas shopping. Thanks for sharing, it is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful piece- and amazing that it has all the attachments. My mom still uses one like it. I would take this over a brand new kitchen aid any day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They don't make things like this anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mother had this exact same mixer when I was a child...brings back memories to see it again. Thanks for posting it!
    Cheryl at My Sister's Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!