Friday, January 21, 2011

It's All In How You Look At It




Mom and I braved the cold weather this morning (it was 32 degrees here, but that’s cold for us!) and went to an estate sale. I found this wonderful little plate that I want to share with you. It’s not marked and it feels like heavy restaurantware to me. I especially like the cobalt blue ring around the rim.



Did I mention that this plate was little?


Perhaps adding this teaspoon will help to put it in perspective….




Maybe this will help even more…..




This tiny little plate is called a butter pat and it’s only 3-1/4” in diameter. Butter pats were quite the fashion during the Victorian Era. You know those Victorians… they had a piece of china or glassware for every use imaginable. These little plates were the perfect size to hold a “pat” or square of butter…and everyone at the table had their very own butter pat. Many china patterns have matching butter pats while many are based on their own design. While some of them are valuable little jewels, most of them can be bought for just a few dollars each.

Since we are not as formal as the Victorians, most of us have no use for these tiny replicas of china plates; however, they can still be put to practical use today.


They are the perfect size to hold a votive candle or tealight…..




You can use one to hold your rings while you wash the dishes…….




Or perhaps you would use one to hold a name card and an after dinner mint at your next party …..





If you are looking for something small to collect, this might be just the thing. You could shop all day and still be able to carry home your day’s findings in a small tote or purse.


I’ll be linking to Linda’s Junkin Finds Friday over at A La Carte. Come join the party!


AND Debra's Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground!


9 comments:

  1. I love vintage butter pats and salts, too. And don't forget the old bones dishes!
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry what a cute plate. I'm glad you showed us the size! I don't think I have any butter pats but I should!! Thanks for joining JFF this week.
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I've ever seen one but I really love the size! I found a cute little ash tray...white ceramic and very small for my hubby to use at his work bench. He uses it when he's sorting nails and screws. I love something unusual! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had 2 butter pats to use as doll dishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm envious, 34 degrees and shopping with your mom! I use butter pats to rest ice tea spoons on so they don't stain your linens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your little butter pat! I have a wonderful old set and use them for various things around the house and sometimes I even use them for their intended purpose, pats of butter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard of those! How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sherry, for some strange reason, I never see these for sale. I think collectors grab them up! Love tiny dishes, so many uses for them. Thanks for linking up with VIF!!
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little dish and I love the way you came up with so many ways to use it.
    Thanks so much for visiting with me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!