Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It’s All About the Shape!



Several of you commented on the Homer Laughlin Eggshell Swing dishes I showed you in my last post. I thought I would give you a little more information about them in particular and Homer Laughlin in general.


Identifying Homer Laughlin china can be rather confusing. Homer Laughlin “fine china” is identified by shape, not by pattern name. Swing is the shape of this china and is most easily recognizable by the unique, curly, shape of the handles. The decal on this set is HLC #TH11…..it doesn't sound as romantic as it looks, huh?




In an eariler post, I showed you a picture of Homer Laughlin's Brittany. Brittany is the shape, not the decal. There are several decals used on the Brittany shape. Mine have the Majestic decal so named by Woolworth’s which sold it in their stores.




 So let's recap....


Swing is the shape and can be found with several different decals AND the HLC #TH11 decal can be found on several other shapes. I told you it can be confusing!



 Well, what about the Eggshell part, you ask?


Eggshell is Homer Laughlin's thin, delicate china that is lighter in weight than their non-eggshell lines. For practical comparison, I find that my Swing dinner plate feels about the same weight as a Corelle dinner plate.


I hope this has been informative and if you find yourself falling in love with a Homer Laughlin pattern that you MUST collect, be sure you can recognize both decal AND shape if you want a matching set.



I'll be "swinging" over to the Vintage Thingie Thursday party at The Coloradolady. Won't you join me there?


14 comments:

  1. So very pretty! if you do not follow Conghaile Cottage blog I suggest you do today! She has a entire post about making of Homer Laughlin dishes with a video from the 1930's! check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now Sherry this was a great post and very informative! Wow, I did not know any of that. I have an 'eggshell' plate on my Etsy and it's really pretty but I didn't know much about it. This will help me research it a bit more. I love the new banner. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting info about this pretty china!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Thanks for the tutorial on Homer Laughlin. I run across it all the time when I'm thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the information. I don't collect china but I think it would be fun to mix patterns or shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting post, and great eye candy! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY INFORMATIVE POST ON THESE DISHES. HIS DISHES ARE BECOMING MORE POPULAR EVERY DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. whisper whisper - I had never heard of Homer Laughlin before I joined in on Vintage Thingie Thursday - I know, where have I been teehee?! Thanks so much for furthering my HL education! :)

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an informative and fascinating post! I love how much I learn here! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for joining the giveaway. With those girls, you never can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very fond of HL china, these are so pretty, I love the flowers. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful dishes. Thanks for posting them Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great informative post, and the china is beautiful! Question: what names if any differentiate the different decals within a shape?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you know how much the Eggshell Swing china is worth? I have an 8 piece set (large dinner plates, medium plates, small plates, cups and saucers, soup bowls and little tiny finger bowls). Also have several serving dishes and large platter. I've been researching online and can never find this pattern listed anywhere. Any info is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!