Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lagniappe Table

Lagniappe (lan’-yap) – a little something extra or an unexpected gift or benefit.

There’s a local thrift store that I visit frequently and I had seen this bedside table there several times. The drawer was missing and I knew that I couldn’t build one, so I didn’t consider buying it even though I knew it was a good piece otherwise.


During one of those visits, I finally took a closer look at it. I might not be able to build a drawer, but it was made such that I could fashion a shelf where the drawer was supposed to be. The support pieces were there, I just needed a thin piece of plywood for the shelf. I bought the table.

My hubby cut a piece of thin plywood for the shelf and I found a strip of balsa wood that I used to finish off the front edge of the shelf.



I would need to paint the shelf first before gluing it in place because I wouldn’t be able to paint it once the shelf was in place. The table itself had already been stripped (another reason to buy it), so I sanded it a bit, primed it and applied 2 coats of Lowe’s mis-tint paint that I had leftover from another project.


I glued the shelf in place with Gorilla Glue.


So what does this have to do with lagniappe?  Well, as I was painting the table I noticed that there was a groove cut into 3 sides of the back of the table.


Obviously the table once had a back on it. I decided to use that feature to give this table a little something extra…..something unexpected….. some lagniappe.  I cut a piece of heavy cardboard to fit into the groove, found some material to match the paint and used Mod-Podge to glue the fabric to the board.



With the fabric back in place, this pretty bedside table now has that little extra some-um some-um……..lagniappe!



I’ll be linking to Kelli Wright’s first Re-Stored It Wednesday…..



And Kim's 3rd Boring to Better party.......


AND Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday



AND Cassie's Piece of Work Wednesday at Primitive and Proper





8 comments:

  1. Love the fabric in the back of your table, it really makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful transformation! Love the pattern on the back. Gives your table that "je ne sais quoi"!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Kim's Boring to Better party!! Love the transformation! The fabric was a good idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks Great!!! I love the fabric!! Thanks so much for coming over to my party! I also appreciate the link to my fabric tutorial! Glad it worked out for you and it looks great!
    Blessings,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the table. It has a new life and a great new color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are sooooo "crafty!" BTW, I saw some items at a local arts 'n crafts event that reminded me of you! Some crafty ladies had glued some beautiful, decorative plates on some bases (one was a candlestick) and created some beautiful serving plates that would knock your socks off! Just tuck that back for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we used to live in slidell, louisiana, so i knew right away what lagniappe was. i used to try to say it when we moved here to md, and people looked at me like, "what?!?!" that table is adorable and so fresh and fun! great take on it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....!!!